ATX Community

Is downgrade to XP Professional a good idea for a new computer?

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I am researching new computers, and have the option of a Windows downgrade to XP Pro with Windows 7. I don't know if it is necessary or if it's just a good idea to have that option. I am using XP now. I know that I can have one built, but I have used my warranties a few times with Dell and they have more than paid for themselves. They have always had me back in business quickly. My longest wait has been when I have had to take my computers into a local shop. I leave the desktop on 24-7, so it does get a lot of use. I love my Dimension 8400, but it is over 5 years old and is starting to act up. Thanks!

Bonnie

As the fastest selling software of all time, Windows 7 is now estimated to have been installed in 15% of the world's computers. The burning question we receive is should I upgrade? Let's look at the short version of the answer.

Windows XP Computers

Don't upgrade these. To upgrade to Windows 7 it requires a clean install-meaning it will reformat the hard drive removing all previously installed programs, data, drivers and links, thus rendering all of your software, hardware and network connections useless and requiring re-installation.

Additionally, to upgrade you will need to install more RAM and the speed of your processor may still not be sufficient.

Windows VISTA computers.

Upgrade these miserable pieces of software slugs. A Vista upgrade does not require a clean install, so you should not lose previously installed programs, drivers and settings, and your system already has enough power to run Windows 7. You will be pleasantly surprised by the speed and stability of Windows 7 as compared to the Vista slug.

New Computers

These should be purchased with Windows 7 installed. It is inevitable you will need to change as Windows XP is left behind, and you may as well bite the bullet now. Your other computers will still be compatable with the data from Windows 7 machines, and your hardware and network will still work.

Which Version of Windows 7 should I use?

There are 3 versions available: Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. Home Premium is fine, but most practicing accountants will probably want to upgrade to the Professional version, simply because it includes a Windows XP mode to allow it to work with most older software. The Ultimate version includes Microsoft's encryption program, BitLocker, but most people will not need the extra cost and features of Ultimate. We do recommend using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional just because it unlocks the full capabilities of the computer. You may not need those capabilities now, but you may want them next year.

What about hardware?

We have found that our older printers and scanners will not work with any version of Windows 7 and never will. Just about everything we have bought in the last 2 years seems ok, but our older Fujitsu scanners don't work. Microsoft has a compatability center at microsoft.com/windows/campatability/windows-7/en-us that allows you to check for compatable software and hardware.

This is information from Taxspeaker.com, that might help.

1+ on going with XP Pro, I think it will be a while before manufacturers update any driver for printer and other gadgets. I just did a clean install of windows 7 on my father laptop and I was very surprised how much hard drive space it took, so keep in mind to get a large enough hard drive and ram on new pc. Now a days you can find refurbished Dell workstations for under $300 with warranty and xp pro installed.

<snip>

Which Version of Windows 7 should I use?

There are 3 versions available: Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate....the Professional version, simply because it includes a Windows XP mode to allow it to work with most older software. ....

<snip>

I mentioned this bit to my husband, and he told me that while this is true, they have also completely removed all ability to use anything that came with even-earlier operating systems. So if you have some programs from your days with Windows NT, and that work just fine on your current XP Pro machine, those same programs will NOT work with Windows 7.

For what it's worth....

I am researching new computers, and have the option of a Windows downgrade to XP Pro with Windows 7. I don't know if it is necessary or if it's just a good idea to have that option. I am using XP now. I know that I can have one built, but I have used my warranties a few times with Dell and they have more than paid for themselves. They have always had me back in business quickly. My longest wait has been when I have had to take my computers into a local shop. I leave the desktop on 24-7, so it does get a lot of use. I love my Dimension 8400, but it is over 5 years old and is starting to act up. Thanks!

Bonnie

We have Windows 7 on 2 machines now. My concern was my lagacy ATX software. We have only tested it on 2007 thru 2009. Works fine in a networked enviroment. HP does provide drivers for HP laserjets 4000 series as well as HP Laserjet 1200. I do not know about my old scanner yet. Project for the coming week. Do get as much ram as possible. WIN 7 evidently will use 4 gigs of ram

My experience only. Not a professional computer tech.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am still researching. My son is really pushing me to have one built, but I still worry about getting it fixed right away like Dell always has. I know that it costs more to purchase a big name, but heck I still have a great Sony Vaio at home that's at least 7 years old and is still running very well for a home computer. I can't wait too long so that I can get everything transferred and running before January.

I didn't respond earlier because I cannot contribute to the OS discussion. I can, however, speak from my experience of having a computer built. My last 5 computers have been built by 'my computer guy' and I wouldn't have it any other way. He knows my business and makes specific recommendations. I have no junk or unnecessary programs and even the start menu is customized. On the rare occasions when something goes wrong, he is 5 minutes away and now works online remotely.

It was a small thing but he was somehow able to install Office 2003 but keep a desktop link to Word 97 just so I could use the old Avery program which I like for large labels. He customized my backup to a desktop icon so that I only have to plug in the alternating external hard drives when I backup. And more... I would have had him build my laptop, too, but he doesn't do build those do I did buy a Dell Vostro - again, no extra stuff and he did customize it for me. He also has done all the networking with printers and now the fax. There are real benefits to custom built and it cost me about the same, I think.

I didn't respond earlier because I cannot contribute to the OS discussion. I can, however, speak from my experience of having a computer built. My last 5 computers have been built by 'my computer guy' and I wouldn't have it any other way. He knows my business and makes specific recommendations. I have no junk or unnecessary programs and even the start menu is customized. On the rare occasions when something goes wrong, he is 5 minutes away and now works online remotely.

It was a small thing but he was somehow able to install Office 2003 but keep a desktop link to Word 97 just so I could use the old Avery program which I like for large labels. He customized my backup to a desktop icon so that I only have to plug in the alternating external hard drives when I backup. And more... I would have had him build my laptop, too, but he doesn't do build those do I did buy a Dell Vostro - again, no extra stuff and he did customize it for me. He also has done all the networking with printers and now the fax. There are real benefits to custom built and it cost me about the same, I think.

Having a good, local IT person can be the best thing ever. They exist, you can see and talk to them, and they're the ones who would fix your machine if you had one built. I do most of my configuring myself, and it takes me a good couple of weeks to get a new machine running the way I prefer. I've been thinking of finding a local person myself. VMSUS does good online/phone support, but it's not like they can come here and wiggle cables.

Catherine