ATX Community

PTIN

mcb39

the direct link is https://rpr.irs.gov. However, just go to the IRS home page and there are directions and links in several places. Be sure to sign in as a first time user. You will need to create a sign in and password. They lead you through it pretty nicely. Also, there are many options to go back and change things. I have my application and receipt of payment with authorization number and trace number printed out and in my hand. They did get it done in September. Good Luck all.

I am happy that it worked for you, Marilyn. I got through to the screen to input my filing status for 2009 and the message came back that it didn't match. Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I know my name and SSN and address and filing status for 2009 (and 8,7,6,5,...back to 1979). So I thought I would just mail in the form. Oops! Still not available. And to think I got a PTIN within months if not weeks of when they were first available years ago. Sigh...

So I went through the PTIN - with SSN application and it gave me an error about technical difficulties and told me to cancel. I did and went through the entire application again - it gave me the same error. This time instead of clicking on cancel I clicked on submit again. It went through and I paid my fee. When I went to print a pdf copy my browser opened a new window and told me the webpage didn't exist. Then to top it all off - The application status read that my application was on hold until I submitted additional documentation because I had no SSN??? Was on hold with the PTIN line for over 45min and was told that's a new error - haven't heard that one before, the system is down and call back tomorrow.....

I'm in no rush to apply. You'll have to renew a year later which means if you apply today next September 28th you'll be sending them another check. I'll wait until December and then won't have to reup until a year from then. The key is to make sure you apply prior to December 31st because the testing requirement for those who are not attorneys, CPAs or EAs would not be required until January 1, 2013.

NSA is suggesting not to apply yet because the IRS has not decided on how to handle the 15HR CPE requirement which also starts from the day you apply. They say it is unclear if you take CPE now whether it would be approved for that purpose. The IRS evidently is having second thoughts about a few things since they pulled the W-12 off their website.

Some people have already been surprised today when they were assigned a new PTIN number instead of their old one because of something simple such as a change of address.

taxbilly

So I went through the PTIN - with SSN application and it gave me an error about technical difficulties and told me to cancel. I did and went through the entire application again - it gave me the same error. This time instead of clicking on cancel I clicked on submit again. It went through and I paid my fee. When I went to print a pdf copy my browser opened a new window and told me the webpage didn't exist. Then to top it all off - The application status read that my application was on hold until I submitted additional documentation because I had no SSN??? Was on hold with the PTIN line for over 45min and was told that's a new error - haven't heard that one before, the system is down and call back tomorrow.....

Refer to the following previous posts....

I think they pulled the form because people were trying to register on the website but the website is not ready yet.

taxbilly

I will wait until after the second system crash and update. Probably January.

Mike, my PTIN from years ago is 00172587. I guess if they are starting over (since your number is sooooo looooow), there is no chance that I will retain my original number. Based on the other comments here, I think I will wait until December and paper file.

She is talking about your application number not your PTIN. they are staying the same.

I had trouble with it accepting my CAF number. It always came up error. I guess I am glad my renewal date is not 12/31 of each year. December is a busy month for me. one less thing to worry about

Mine is P00005702. Hope I get to keep it. But, I'm waiting until they get the bugs out. For instance, it's been wanting the wrong number of digits for your CAF, so you have to leave it blank to get the application through and update it some other time. I'll wait until December, at least, or maybe November. My clients don't come in early, so I could wait until January or February, but probably won't.

I just finished my registration process with no problems. My application number is 6113. What is your number. Let's see who has the lowest number.

My application number is 2934.....however, they have still not given me a PTIN even though the instructions say that you will get it immediately. All I got was an application summary and a Trace Number and an Application Number. They do have my money so I will wait a few days before I call.

Don't need to brag about being the "early" crowd. Too much experience tells me there will be at least 2 maybe 3 major changes in the next 3 weeks. I got a banana split from Dairy Queen on this! Any takers??

My day to register may be December 28. But we will see.....

I prefer to do it only once, and be sure that all the information flows properly.

Mike, my PTIN from years ago is 00172587. I guess if they are starting over (since your number is sooooo looooow), there is no chance that I will retain my original number. Based on the other comments here, I think I will wait until December and paper file.

Looks like mine was older than yours....00049446....However, I got rejected for the same reason as you; tax year and filing status of MFJ don't match. I have to stick with the online because they have my money. I don't mind being a guinea pig as we have lots of time to get it settled. Phone lines are FULL. "Please call back later." For some reason, none of this surprises or upsets me. Getting mellow with old age.

Almost 24hrs later and I still haven't received my temp password via email????

Maybe you should try again. That is the one thing that worked.; Even before the web site was working, I got my temp password within minutes. BTW, the paper form is ready now if you want to go that route.

Mine's even lower P00017906...lol. Now my application status reads the same problem with tax year and filing status not verifying. Don't tell me the programmers didn't think to include for MFJ where our SSN is listed 2nd on the return?! I've also had the same mailing and permanent address since 1977....I know! We're all a part of the Fringe conspiracy and this is the altenate universe!...lol