ATX Community

PTIN

mcb39

To what Jack from Ohio and mcb39 have shared I might add I generally get 24+ credits each year. Last year, I think I had 36 credits. For what it is worth, I also teach classes that qualify for CPE on my speciality area of taxation. Those are usually two to six hour slots based upon what is requested. While I abhor unqualified preparers and I have found those are not limited to unlicensed preparers, I am not sure this IRS testing/registration procedure will resolve that issue. It does make good PR,however.

Don't get snarky. I simply wanted to know how much y'all do voluntarily. Now, I've already said, that board members, and especially those like you, Jack, and Catherine, who are on here all the time, are knowledgeable and care about their profession.

Not everyone out there is you.

Trust me, there are a lot of folks out there that haven't got a clue as to what they are doing. Now, they won't be able to 'go underground' easily because they won't be able to efile. No efile, no RAL, RAC or other bank products, and no quick refund from direct deposit.

One difference though, is that you, Jack & Catherine, haven't been under the restrictions of Circular 230. Now the playing field is a bit leveled. And anyone that hasn't enough tax smarts to pass part one of the test, won't be able to prepare anything. And if you can't pass part 2, no business returns.

Don't either of you see this as a business generator?

One difference though, is that you, Jack & Catherine, haven't been under the restrictions of Circular 230.

What do you mean NOT under the restrictions of Circular 230. I am a CPA and the last I knew Circular 230 applied to my practice with the IRS. BTW, I prepared my first 1040 tax return in 1965, long before Circular 230, and I have been preparing tax returns ever since.

With the requirement for testing move to 2013, how is anyone going to be stopped from e-filing that has been doing it in the past? I am missing the connection here...

Jack the PTIN has to be renewed every year along with the fee. I am sure the registration of the PTIN will monitor the e-filing of returns. Also, I suppose they could always pull your EFIN. Speaking of which, I forgot to mention in my prior post that I have had my EFIN as long as they have been offered. I was also finger-printed in order to get it. Therefore, it is very important to me, personally, to keep it active and clean. Just another little hoop that I had to jump through to get where I am today.

What do you mean NOT under the restrictions of Circular 230. I am a CPA and the last I knew Circular 230 applied to my practice with the IRS. BTW, I prepared my first 1040 tax return in 1965, long before Circular 230, and I have been preparing tax returns ever since.

Wrong Jack, OldJack. I was referring to Jack from Ohio. He weighed in as an unregistered preparere.

I have had a PTIN since they were offered and have been e-filing since the late 90's. Yes, I run a home office ( my ex didn't want me to work out of the home - and now that I have a grandchild, I'm still in the home office) with about 300 clients/yr. I do not offer Rals, RAc's or any other such nonsense...e-file with direct deposit and FeeCollect if absolutley necessary. I take about 32 hours of CPE/yr not because I have to but because I want to stay informed. My rates are reasonable and competitive for the small community I live in. I do have an associates degree in accounting and do have some small business bookkeeping and sales tax accounts. I don't mind paying a fee to be 'official' - and I don't mind being governed by circular 230 rules. What I mind is the same people preparing returns that I have been repairing all these years finding the obvious loopholes in the new regs. They will still find a way to be in business and we, ethical people will have to charge our loyal customers more to cover the cost. In my area alone there is a person in the neighboring city that is 'helping' immigrants get ITIN's - he is not on the IRS approved list of people qualified to do this, but lists his services differently to get around it. I predict the same returns I've been amending over the years by certain people in my area will still have to be amended and the return will say 'self prepared' and he will be charging an e-file fee....ERO's are NOT subject to the new regs...this is not right.

• Like 1

And yes, I have changed my profile pic ( it's my 5mth old granddaughter...I wanted mcb39's plate but it was unavailable..lol)

Yes, Teri, since you are in WI, it would be unavailable. Actually, I was surprised when I was able to get it. Your situation is almost identical to mine; ie: home office, no RALs, reasonable rates, etc. Keep up the good work. That is all that we can do. Be there for the people who need us.

I made the remark about your plates tongue-in-cheek..lol...was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. Actually, someone said if I choose one of the fancier plates i.e. endangered species, packers, etc I could get the same thing...don't know how true that is though - besides my husband has said no work related plates on the cars...party-pooper that he is..lol

• 4 weeks later...

From IRS.gov

***Attention joint filers with different last names. Please wait until December 6, 2010, to submit a PTIN application if: your last return was married filing jointly, you were the secondary spouse on the return, and you have a different last name than your spouse. We are addressing a system issue that has prevented joint filers with different last names from getting their PTIN. We apologize for any inconvenience.***

Well THAT explains my difficulties! One would think in 2010 that even the IRS would be out of the dark ages and realize, especially with professional people, that different last names are not so uncommon. I did finally get my official reply to my paper application and got to keep the same number. But I spent about 3-4 hours calling the PTIN line, the efile help line the Taxpayer Advocate (I was told to call them but didn't - waste of time)and the 1040 line (didn't call there either, although told to call). And it took nearly 2 months to process...

I finally got mine today, but it took about 90 minutes. FIrst, I was getting HTTP 500, and after calling and being transferred and holding, was told my email was used by someone else -- doubt it. After three more tries, got past that hurdle. But, my address is 73 Eleven O'Clock Road -- used it so it would match my tax return, but eventually it asked me to go back and remove the punctuation. Then, I used my nine-digit Zip code to match my tax return, but it wanted the "-" that it did not want in my telephone number or else only five digits! And so on and so on. Very time-consuming. Wish I'd waited until 1 December to push my renewal to December, but will be out of town now through the weekend, mostly for tax courses. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Update on Processing of Forms W-12

The IRS has informed NATP that there are currently about 27,000 Forms W-12 still waiting to be processed. The majority of applications are being processed within four to six weeks. Approximately 1,700 forms are over six weeks old. Processing has been attempted but not completed on these forms because the information submitted does not match IRS records. Before rejecting any applications, the IRS is making a careful comparison of the information to ensure rejection is valid.

Applicants are encouraged to carefully check information when applying for PTINs online or on paper. IRS analysis indicates many of the applications they have been unable to process have included incorrect SSNs and dates of birth. In addition, even after the IRS corrected a programming problem involving spouses on joint returns with different last names, the largest percentage of mismatches continues to be related to the last name. Applicants should review their last income tax return and enter their name exactly as it appeared.

Payments with paper PTIN applications are not cashed until processing is completed. Any preparer who has a paper Form W-12 pending may still opt to register online at any time. If a preparer does this, when his or her paper application is processed, the system will determine that a PTIN has already been issued online, and the paper form and voided payment will be returned.

The IRS has also updated its FAQ page with the following:

I sent in a paper Form W-12 and my check has not been cashed. What should I do? (updated 12/10/10)

Unlike tax returns, we will not process your payment until a PTIN has been issued. You will receive a letter in the mail when your application is processed. If you included an email address on your W-12, you will be notified via email when your application is processed.

If you have a paper Form W-12 pending, you may still opt to go ahead and register online at any time. Your paper form and payment will be returned to you.