ATX Community

PTIN

mcb39

From NAEA September 28, 2010:

The wait is over! The PTIN application is now live at www.irs.gov/taxpros. Please keep in mind that this registration is required of every paid preparer who prepares all or substantially all of a tax return—even those who currently have PTINs.

The new, annual PTIN user fee is $64.25. Of interest to enrolled agents, the IRS website states that IRS is recalculating the $125 enrolled agent renewal fee and a reduced fee amount will be announced in the future. NAEA has vigorously advocated for a reasonable offset to this additional fee and will, of course, continue to do so.

According to an IRS news release:

• If you currentlly have a PTIN, you will generally be reassigned the same number.
  • Receipt of a PTIN will be immediate after successful online registration.
  • If you don't have a Social Security number, you'll need to complete a paper form (Form W-12) and an additional form (either a Form 8945 or 8946). These forms are available online.
  • Should you require any technical support, call 1-877-613-PTIN (7846).

The Service has attempted to address the myriad questions surrounding the new PTIN application with an overview and an updated series of FAQs. Should you have any questions, NAEA advises you to consult the FAQs, which address a variety of places where one could run into trouble.

A word of caution: neither the refreshed PTIN (for those of you with existing PTINs), nor new PTIN (for those of you who don't have one now) is required until after January 1, 2011. IRS is not awarding gold stars, brownie points, or get out of audit free cards for those who march through the online function today. Programs of this sort, even though they are tested, often reveal glitches in the first few days, so you may want to wait until any kinks are ironed out. For instance, a number of members informed NAEA that CAF numbers do not fit into the field provided for it. (A subsequent conversation with IRS National Office indicates that until the vendor can fix this issue, those wishing to complete the online application may do so by leaving the CAF field blank.)

Looks like I am 1/3 of the way to earning a banana split!!

Did you check your Spam folder? That is where I found my password.

I did check it, and this morning I tried re-registering however it give me an error message saying I have already registered under that email address I used. Later on today I will register using another email I have.

Thanks

I have attempted to procure my PTIN on 3 different occasions and have encountered the following problems.

Address information

Zip code format

Credir card info

I was finally successful this morning and guess what, I was charged twice on my credit card. After 4 telephone calls to the IRS they gave me a toll free number to call them directly. The answering machine states that due to high call volume please call back at a latter time.

I'm sure glad that I didn't wait until they got all of the bugs out of their system!

I'll keep you all posted.

Mike Dubin CPA

I just completed my application. The first time thru it accepted my application but couldn't figure what my fees were to be, so I went back through the process and it let me go all the way and assigned me my old PTIN number. For those keeping track my application # is 17223.

I thought about waiting, but this is the time of year I usually renew with CTEC so it's easier for me to remember as the continued education requirements will be basically the same.

Deb!

I have a receipt for the paid fee, however, no letter for granting of the PTIN and am unable to confirm at the IRS web site. I may not be in the right place to confirm however. If there is a URL I could use, than at least I would know I am at the right place. BTW, My charge was processed 28 September. Does anybody have an idea what this means?

Hello all, i just got mine. it is a new one and says expires on 10-31-2011 with the word provisional above the date. Anybody seen this yet? I have had the same ptin number ever since it started. I wonder why I got a new one. Must be something that didn't match the old one. Just my 2 cents worth. Our dairy queen closed about 10 years ago. Thanks all. :rolleyes:

Hello all, i just got mine. it is a new one and says expires on 10-31-2011 with the word provisional above the date. Anybody seen this yet? I have had the same ptin number ever since it started. I wonder why I got a new one. Must be something that didn't match the old one. Just my 2 cents worth. Our dairy queen closed about 10 years ago. Thanks all. rolleyes.gif

Mine is still open, and I do take prepaid gift cards....biggrin.gif

Went online this afternoon to register for the PTIN. 5 minutes max. Done. Got the confirmation e-mail immediately - although it did caution that it might be in the junk file. Confirmation arrived with the status "active" and the same PTIN # I've had for years. Yay. Thinking that the form of payment - or hitting the "pay later" button - might be something that puts the status as provisional (?). Just a thought. I paid via debit card.

Went online this afternoon to register for the PTIN. 5 minutes max. Done. Got the confirmation e-mail immediately - although it did caution that it might be in the junk file. Confirmation arrived with the status "active" and the same PTIN # I've had for years. Yay. Thinking that the form of payment - or hitting the "pay later" button - might be something that puts the status as provisional (?). Just a thought. I paid via debit card.

13. What do you mean by “provisional PTIN”? (posted 9/28/2010)

Provisional PTINs are issued for three reasons: 1) The applicant is subject to testing requirements which have not yet been satisfied, 2) The applicant has indicated he/she is not in compliance with their federal tax responsibilities, and/or 3) The applicant has indicated he/she has been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years. The provisional status is temporary until the condition is resolved or reviewed and cleared.

Back on one of the early days that the IRS offered the online application, I tried but was unsuccessful in logging in. So I filled out the form, printed it and mailed it along with my check.

This morning I received an email from the IRS (good thing the subject stated it was about the PTIN program or I might have had to be picked up off the floor) which included a welcome letter, acceptance of my application and re-issuing of my PTIN.

Letter filed and now back to work.

Back on one of the early days that the IRS offered the online application, I tried but was unsuccessful in logging in. So I filled out the form, printed it and mailed it along with my check.

This morning I received an email from the IRS (good thing the subject stated it was about the PTIN program or I might have had to be picked up off the floor) which included a welcome letter, acceptance of my application and re-issuing of my PTIN.

Letter filed and now back to work.

Hope that means I get mine soon -- same thing; couldn't get past registration because the links weren't up, so I sent in a form and a check. I've heard zip, nor is there any info online. Should check to see if that check has been cashed, but it's been busy here. (Gee, 8 days from 10/15; what on earth could make it hectic?)

Catherine