ATX Community

PTIN

mcb39

Actually, I don't think you will be able to e-file because you will not have a PTIN.

Those were my thoughts. I doubt whether you will be able to e-file without a valid PTIN. And, also, the guidelines for mandatory e-filing have changed for the coming year. They will figure out something. They still have time. (??????)

Well... I gave the vultures my hard earned $$$ and all I got was a number that I really did not want. Where is the T-party when you need them? :angry:

Well, Jack, sometimes we just have to roll with the flow; like it or not. I had to give hard earned $$$ for a number that I have already had for many years and will have to continue to pay for it each year that I wish to continue preparing tax returns. On top of that, my number is only "provisionary" until I pass the test. And I have been preparing tax returns for over 35 years, as I am sure have many on this board. From what I understand reading FAQ, there will also be a fee charged for being tested. Alas!!!!!!!

Well... in my opinion the IRS and our government is out of control with nothing but harrassment of our profession and business owners. If the government had its way they would probably be a pee tax! I say throw them all out of a job!!!

Yep. So make sure you go vote on 11/2. Anyone with the notation "incumbent" after their name is a good candidate for firing. I've heard that some places are getting pressure from incumbents to leave that OFF the ballot, to protect them and their jobs at _our_ expense.

Once we get rid of the worst of the oath-breakers, we can start working on getting in more people with integrity and principles, who will respect the Constitution and work to restore it. Eventually we can get to the point of repealing amendment #16 (and #17, and big chunks of #14, as well).

Anyone notice that the media has been utterly silent on the 38 black Republican candidates running nationwide? Doesn't fit their world view, I guess.

Frederick Douglass center link

And... where were our professional organizations that are supposed to be looking out for our interest? Its about time we quit paying dues! Did anyone hear them object? Am I the only one that is tired of working for the IRS without pay?

Another battle to fight. Let's stop the hemorrhaging first, and get to the lacerations later. Sorry for the mixed metaphors. Getting a bit punchy here today; just told someone the wrong exit to take off the highway and then had to talk him back through the non-intuitive recovery from the bad directions. And I've "only" been here 7+ years. Sigh.

Big democrat brother is definitely watching, quote from the IRS PTIN letter:

>>You indicated on your application that you're currently in compliance with your federal tax obligations. To ensure that you maintain compliance in the future, the IRS will conduct periodic tax compliance checks.

The IRS may also conduct a background check, and you may need to provide fingerprints. Having a felony conviction on your record could affect your status as a tax practitioner as well as your ability to prepare tax returns. For more information, see Treasury Department Circular 230 § 10.51.

<<

Tax Preparers are no longer just helpers for the IRS.

Big democrat brother is definitely watching, quote from the IRS PTIN letter:

>>You indicated on your application that you're currently in compliance with your federal tax obligations. To ensure that you maintain compliance in the future, the IRS will conduct periodic tax compliance checks.

The IRS may also conduct a background check, and you may need to provide fingerprints. Having a felony conviction on your record could affect your status as a tax practitioner as well as your ability to prepare tax returns. For more information, see Treasury Department Circular 230 § 10.51.

<<

Tax Preparers are no longer just helpers for the IRS.

Had to provide fingerprints in order to get my EFIN......also, many years ago. Since they already know so much about me, why do I have to take a test? GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh... an alternative is to choose another profession, I suppose. But I don't know of anything that doesn't entail some sort of restrictions, rules, guidelines, something whether growing food for consumers, manufacturing products, etc. I guess as long as we share the world with more than one other person, there will be restrictions of some kind or other.

But I don't know of anything that doesn't entail some sort of restrictions, rules, guidelines,

True...but before Obama, CPA's were licensed/controlled by the state and "represented our clients" before the IRS. Face it, like it or not, we are now licensed/controlled by the IRS and now "represent the IRS". Your new title will soon be "Tax Collector" (not me as I will retire). This is our fault for voting the way we have and allowing our professional organizations to ignore are business interest. Its called shooting yourself in the foot!

Don't need to brag about being the "early" crowd. Too much experience tells me there will be at least 2 maybe 3 major changes in the next 3 weeks. I got a banana split from Dairy Queen on this! Any takers??

My day to register may be December 28. But we will see.....

I prefer to do it only once, and be sure that all the information flows properly.

I'm thinking I'm going to wait, too. At least let them get some of the bugs worked out. I got my original PTIN the first year they were available....hoping I can keep it, too.

News: Federal Tax Day - Current, I.3, IRS to Waive Preparer Education Requirements for 2011, Shulman Announces (IR-2010-107, IRS Memo), (Oct. 27, 2010) For 2011, the IRS will waive the requirements for 15 hours of continuing education under the Service’s return-preparer initiative, IRS Commissioner Douglas H. Shulman announced at the Fall Tax Meeting of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). The waiver is part of a staged transition for the requirement and will give the IRS time to address many issues, including working with third parties who already certify education courses, Shulman said. The preparer initiative is…