ATX Community

ATX Conversion Software to TRX 2009

Mike D

I received my 2010 TRX software and as I had previously reported my issues with the 2009 conversion software, I am happy to report that they have listened to many of our complaints and made quite a few corrections. I don't think it will ever be perfect but appears to be a lot more user friendly to me.

Although I was expecting TaxWorks, they have provided 1040Works which is a somewhat toned down version of the former. The content and comprehensiveness of this package is very similar, most of the missing features are more functionality related. Some of the features that are missing are viewing multiple years in one screen, having the actual tax form in reel time on the same screen, etc. For example they provided an asset tracker, not a fixed asset program which on the surface appears to be quite comprehensive. I was a bit disappointed with this solution as they originally advertised a fixed asset manager.

In addition they also provided me with their home grown accounting as well as business management software and RIA research. I paid $299 for all of the above which I estimate the true cost to be about $2,000. I will play with these when I get some time and let all of you know the outcome.

It would be comforting for me to have some of you follow suite.

Happy holidays to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my 2010 TRX software and as I had previously reported my issues with the 2009 conversion software, I am happy to report that they have listened to many of our complaints and made quite a few corrections. I don't think it will ever be perfect but appears to be a lot more user friendly to me.

Although I was expecting TaxWorks, they have provided 1040Works which is a somewhat toned down version of the former. The content and comprehensiveness of this package is very similar, most of the missing features are more functionality related. Some of the features that are missing are viewing multiple years in one screen, having the actual tax form in reel time on the same screen, etc. For example they provided an asset tracker, not a fixed asset program which on the surface appears to be quite comprehensive. I was a bit disappointed with this solution as they originally advertised a fixed asset manager.

In addition they also provided me with their home grown accounting as well as business management software and RIA research. I paid $299 for all of the above which I estimate the true cost to be about $2,000. I will play with these when I get some time and let all of you know the outcome.

It would be comforting for me to have some of you follow suite.

Happy holidays to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike,

Did you download the accounting software from the TRX homepage? Also, where did you get the business management software? I got the premium $699 for $299 so I think we have the same program. Also, my RIA Research link isnt functional. Is yours?

Thanks

I received a disc from TRX via UPS from which I loaded the software.

The software deal that I sibsribed to is as folows:

THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE WITH THE RENEWAL AND THE ADD ONS THAT YOU WILL BE GETTING FOR 2010 AND AS LONG AS YOU RENEW BEFORE MAY 1ST.. THE PRICE WILL BE ONLY $ 299.00

All 1040 fed forms w/ Free Efile

All State 1040 forms w/ Free Efile

All Business forms w/Free Efile

All Entity Forms w/Free Efile

MULTY OFFICE MANAGER

RIA Research

Client Write Up w/ Payroll (TRX)

Fixed Asset Manager

DOCUMENT MANAGER

I downloaded the business management software a few months ago.

I just recently downloaded the accounting software.

I have not had adequate time to review so I can't give my opinion until such time as I can.

Good luck

Mike Dubin CPA

I received a disc from TRX via UPS from which I loaded the software.

The software deal that I sibsribed to is as folows:

THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE WITH THE RENEWAL AND THE ADD ONS THAT YOU WILL BE GETTING FOR 2010 AND AS LONG AS YOU RENEW BEFORE MAY 1ST.. THE PRICE WILL BE ONLY $ 299.00

All 1040 fed forms w/ Free Efile

All State 1040 forms w/ Free Efile

All Business forms w/Free Efile

All Entity Forms w/Free Efile

MULTY OFFICE MANAGER

RIA Research

Fixed Asset Manager

DOCUMENT MANAGER

I downloaded the business management software a few months ago.

I just recently downloaded the accounting software.

I have not had adequate time to review so I can't give my opinion until such time as I can.

Good luck

Mike Dubin CPA

Thanks Mike,

Hmmm, I got basically the same deal but it made no mention of the following:

MULTY OFFICE MANAGER

Fixed Asset Manager

DOCUMENT MANAGER

They did give me "Accounting Software" which I just downloaded from their site but it is in demo mode and I need to register it for it to be fully functional so I am not sure what is included in it and they also told me that the "Business Management Software" would not be available until after January 1st 2011.

I purchased the $299 package, solely to check out the RIA Research product. The program is loaded on my computer, and research is not yet active.

I dropped ATX's Intelli(whatever they call it) research product last year and went with Tax Analysts. My subscription with Tax Analysts renews on 1/7/2011; I was hoping to be able to try out the RIA Research product before my TA subscription renewal date. So far doesn't look like it's going to happen; I wrote to TRX's tech support and they just tell me it's not yet live, to wait.

We'll wait and see. If I wasted my $299 so be it, but they'll NEVER get me as a client again. Time will tell.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, FNTPI, NP

Enrolled Agent

Notary Pubilc

Kenner, LA

I have finished converting all of my 1040 returns to TRX 2010, not without issues. Although it got progressively better as we all posted our concerns it still took me excessive time to convert these returns. Multiple states, depreciation, carrying sch A taxes from W-2 form, birth dates, etc. I have also had issues with custom letters which I am still working on.

I am somewhat disapointed yet as there are still no conversion software available for business returns and the RIA research software does not work. One thing I am finding quite consistent with TRX is their ability to miss release dates.

Other than these issues I have found TRX to be responsive and helpful, more that I could say about ATX support!

I look forward to a successful 2010 tax season and wish all happy and healthy holidays.

Mike Dubin CPA

I am somewhat disappointed with this late communication regarding the issues that I raised some time ago. That being said I look forward to putting this behind us and moving forward.

Are these adjustments that you have already corrected now available through the upgrade from the internet function?

I will be happy to provide you with the returns in question. Please let me know ASAP how to get them to you?

Will you also be correcting the business return conversion programs as well before they become available?

I would like to go through the conversion process once as there will be many unresolved issues that need to be corrected manually for example, depreciation, multiple states, NOL, e file data, etc.

One thing that all tax preparers share in common is that we don't need any additional unnecessary work, especially with software issues, as the tax season approaches, we will have more than enough to deal with.

Thanks

Mike Dublin CPA

Mike,

I agree with your comments. I have had similar problems, but as you said they do seem to be making progress. I finally got all of my 1040 files converted. I am told that the business entity conversion package should be ready about 01/05/11 for download. I hope this will go better than the 1040's, luckily I only have about 25 or so. Please do keep the comments coming as we need to share our thoughts on this board. Hopefully, more users will find this board and post their comments.

Have a safe New Years !

Art

• 2 weeks later...

You need to open 2009 TRX installations dropdown on top and select upgrade systems, select all and upgrade from internet. Once completed return to TRX Pro via bottom button.

Next go to file menu, select convert clients, select ATX and depending on your computers operating system select the data file. For example assume your running Windows 7 select the C:\Program Files (x86)\ATX2009\Database, for prior operating systems select C:\Program Files ATX2009\Database. Follow instructions and you should be able to convert. Once converted review carefully and edit as necessary. Unfortunately they only have 1040 conversions at this late date, no business as yet!

Once converted open 2010 TRX Pro select client profile and then select upgrade on top. Follow instructions to bring all the 2009 converted returns to 2010.

It took me a bit of editing time however most of my returns converted without incidence.

If necessary call tech support, they were quite responsive to my inquiries.

Good luck.

Mike Dubin CPA

• 3 weeks later...

Another quirk with converting is fields that calculate from a zip code. In Pa you are required to indicated a school district and code. TRX pulls these codes from this TP zip code field. However, the codes dont populate when you import a converted 2009 return even though the zip code carries correctly to the field. To get the state codes to populated I have to delete the zip code, click away from the field, go back and re-enter the same zip code and then the fields will populate correctly ... weird

I just noticed I am now an "Advanced Member", cool... I dont even remember taking the test. ;)

After converting from ATX, has anyone had any luck getting the 2-yr comparison amounts from 2009 to auto-fill? Mine are all empty, and I seem to have to type them in by hand. Surely I've missed a step??

(I also am having trouble converting clients with returns from particular states - MA, NY, NM, IL, IN. Maybe others. When try to convert, it fails, saying "Detail Error: There was not adequate information in the return for a conversion (i.e. Name and SSN)". I'll have to call TRX on that one, I think. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, to no avail.)

Thanks...

No, the 2 year comparison are not populating the 2009 field on for me on ATX converted returns. Also, one item wasnt showing up on the correct 2009 line and it was showing up incorrectly as a negative amount, I believe it was the total tax entry. I havent tried it in a while so it may have been corrected by an update.

In my case the 2-Year comparison is populating. I don't know what (if anything) I am doing differently. Before I start preparing a return I verify that everything in the TaxWorks 2009 matches what I had in ATX 2009. Then I "upgrade" it to 2010. On the 2 year comparison, I check the box at the top to prepare the 2 year comparison. Then when I "peek" at the 2 year return it is there. OK, actually only the 1st page is there, but the 2nd page shows up when I print.

I don't know if that will help.

That helps! I have to open the return in 2009 and check the box in 2009 to prepare the 2-yr comparison. Then, update to 2010, open in 2010, check the 2-yr comparison box again, and it fills in.

Thanks!

As for the other issue (some returns with particular states failing on conversion), still working on it - will update if I get it resolved, but I think I'll just enter the info by hand.

Good morning everyone,

I have read through this entire thread, and I believe that you have been able to help one another with the open questions/issues, but if I am mistaken, don't hesitate to correct me.

I said it in another post, but this forum is excellent, and for those of you that are using it, I congratulate you on the teamwork and viability of its use.

Please respond with any concerns or feedback and I will go from there.

Ryan

Good morning, Crank:

Take a couple of returns and follow the below steps and let me know if you are able to see the 2-year comparison at that point:

1. Be in the 2009 Client Selection Screen

2. Tag the clients you want to batch process

3. Click the Utilities tab on the top menu bar

4. Click Batch Process

5. Process(Only) will show up in the dropdown (While in this field you might want to look at the drop down and see what some of the options are to get specific information about your clients)

6. Click Process

7. A Viewing File window will pop up – Click Close or print if you like

8. In the 2010 software open the Client Selection screen

9. Click the Update button

10. The Update from 09 to 10 window will open

11. Tag the clients you want to update

12. Click the Update button

13. An Update Process window will open

14. When the update is completed you can open or not open the return

15. Take a look at the Two-Year comparison and hopefully the information will be there

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am one of the developers over at RedGear (RGFan is my boss). We have been very impressed with the AtxCommunity forum and loved the feedback from what we received from all of you in terms of features/fixes and awareness about our conversions. Because of that we have created our own Conversions Forum which you can access here http://tpuc.tpuoh.com/phpbb3 . We really appreciate all of the feedback from customers about all things conversions related. Feel free to register and contribute to helping us make this place as welcome and as helpful as this forum has been.

Thanks!