ATX Community

Can't Log into E-Services at IRS

samingeorgia

Yesterday I got an email from IRS stating that I need to reset my e-services password. Sure enough, according to my secret file, hidden in my office, I changed the password on July 1, 2010. So here it is about six months later, and I type in www.irs.gov into the machine. I go to "Tax Professionals" and there's a link for e-services. When I go to log in, I get some stupid message that the site I'm trying to go to doesn't have a "Trusted Certificate" or some such BS.

I re-tried and still can't get in. "Trusted Certificate" my ***.

Any ideas?

It sounds like your anti-virus software or firewall or other security doesn't recognize the site. Can you lower your security settings? Someone more computer literate will jump in with specifics soon.

I have NEVER gotten that promised email and sometimes get locked out and am on the telephone with the e-Services help desk. In fact, I changed it early this fall so it wouldn't land during tax season.

Depending on what browser you are using, you might need to adjust this suggestion. Open IE, pull down the tools menu, internet options, security, trusted sites, site... Add https://*.irs.gov to the trusted sites and lower the trusted sites security level to low. If need, lower your internet setting one level down. Move it up when you are done.

Depending on what browser you are using, you might need to adjust this suggestion. Open IE, pull down the tools menu, internet options, security, trusted sites, site... Add https://*.irs.gov to the trusted sites and lower the trusted sites security level to low. If need, lower your internet setting one level down. Move it up when you are done.

That should not be necessary. I have no problem getting into irs.gov. It is the e-services site which comes up with the ugly red warning that samingeorgia is talking about. I never got that before. I just ignored it today and went in and changed my password. Also added it to my secure sites. Still getting the same message. Certificate is not........!!!! What could be more secure than e-services, other than myatx.com?

The error message gave me the option to proceed to the website, risky as it was. I clicked on it and the computer did nothing, just stayed on the error message page.

This morning I spent about 30-40 minutes on the phone with IRS. The lady, who was very nice and helpful, said that it was a "cookies" problem. So I deleted all my cookies and still no luck. I changed the security setting and tried to add the URL into the "trusted" sites section on IE tools. Still no go.

Later, I went to a colleague's office and got him to try it. Same message. Same message on my granddaughter's computer.

I hate being stumped by a mechanical object -- that's why I never took flying lessons.

OK, just on a whim I went back and tried again. Worked like a charm. What a relief!

Edited by samingeorgia

Just received the following e-mail from the IRS:

We have had several contacts from externals regarding problems loading the "la" certificates in the Internet Explorer Brower. If you are having problems please follow the procedures outlined below to assist you in loading the certificates.

1. Download the L1C chain certificate from https://www.entrust.net/downloads/binary/entrust_l1c.cer

2. Go to Internet Options, either from the Control Panel or from the Tools menu of Internet Explorer

3. From the Content tab of Internet Options, select the Certificates button

4. Select the Intermediate Certification Authorities tab

5. Use the Import button and select the file saved in step 1

6. Click through (3 Nexts and a Finish)

Please notify us through the 1040 mailbox at [email protected] if you have questions or need assistance with problems.

Just received the following e-mail from the IRS:

We have had several contacts from externals regarding problems loading the "la" certificates in the Internet Explorer Brower. If you are having problems please follow the procedures outlined below to assist you in loading the certificates.

1. Download the L1C chain certificate from https://www.entrust.net/downloads/binary/entrust_l1c.cer

2. Go to Internet Options, either from the Control Panel or from the Tools menu of Internet Explorer

3. From the Content tab of Internet Options, select the Certificates button

4. Select the Intermediate Certification Authorities tab

5. Use the Import button and select the file saved in step 1

6. Click through (3 Nexts and a Finish)

Please notify us through the 1040 mailbox at [email protected] if you have questions or need assistance with problems.

The above "fix" worked only after I shut down and restarted my computer. Good Luck all.

I usually use Firefox on my desktop, but am on my netbook using IE. I got the warning and told it to continue. It sits on the warning until I request a second time. Then I get in, but have a pink warning stripe at the top of the screen. I was able to submit a POA. And, I can get in by just requesting it to continue twice. Hope to be on my brand new desktop soon and back to Firefox, so don't think I'll try retrieving the certificates unless I have further problems.

Probably someone else can do a better job of directions, but here goes! Log in. You'll be asked for your info, think you can have it pre-fill your info. I got a transcript for my husband and myself one year, so I remember putting a POA/disclosure authorization in on my hubby. Then I asked for transcripts, which appear in moments. I don't have a huge number of clients so don't use it often so am always puzzling over their jargon, trying to figure out which one of the items listed I need. But, the speed of delivery is worth struggling through their input screens. Good luck.

Probably someone else can do a better job of directions, but here goes! Log in. You'll be asked for your info, think you can have it pre-fill your info. I got a transcript for my husband and myself one year, so I remember putting a POA/disclosure authorization in on my hubby. Then I asked for transcripts, which appear in moments. I don't have a huge number of clients so don't use it often so am always puzzling over their jargon, trying to figure out which one of the items listed I need. But, the speed of delivery is worth struggling through their input screens. Good luck.

I will try. Thank you.