ATX Community

Dependent Exemption

Scott_P

Good thing this message board is here. I haven't needed to look up answers in a while and relized the ATX Community was gone. Thank you for this message board.

I have a situation that I don't think is quite correct and I'm looking for some validation.

Scenario:

Boyfriend & girlfriend (not married in any shape or form). Boyfriend helps girlfriend pay medical bills & mortgage while out of a job. Boyfriend files girlfriend as dependent (I found this out after rejection of her e-file), but girlfriend is not a qualifying relative and made over $3,300. Boyfriend is claiming over half of her support, but doesn't a qualifying dependent have to meet all 3 tests to be allowed? (Relationship, Gross Income, & Support)

Boyfriend's preparer said he was allowed to take dependecy exemption and I say he couldn't. Is there something I'm missing? Any comments are greatly appreciated. :blink:

Good thing this message board is here. I haven't needed to look up answers in a while and relized the ATX Community was gone. Thank you for this message board.

I have a situation that I don't think is quite correct and I'm looking for some validation.

Scenario:

Boyfriend & girlfriend (not married in any shape or form). Boyfriend helps girlfriend pay medical bills & mortgage while out of a job. Boyfriend files girlfriend as dependent (I found this out after rejection of her e-file), but girlfriend is not a qualifying relative and made over $3,300. Boyfriend is claiming over half of her support, but doesn't a qualifying dependent have to meet all 3 tests to be allowed? (Relationship, Gross Income, & Support)

Boyfriend's preparer said he was allowed to take dependecy exemption and I say he couldn't. Is there something I'm missing? Any comments are greatly appreciated. :blink:

I'm sorry about the previous post, I'm still getting used to this board. With such small amounts of audits preparers put a LOT of items on returns that they know won't fly. All you can do is what in your professional opinion is correct. I don't understand these couples that go to separate preparers anyway; it's almost like they are shopping for opinions.

I had a client who got married last year. I asked him about his wife's info when he brought his papers in. His answer: I think she's going to her old accountant. We thought we'd wait till this year to file joint. After problems with other couples going to different preparers, I suggested that he go to her accountant. In the end she brought her stuff to me (although I'm at that stage in my career where I wouldn't mind losing a client or two!) I said OK. Not to mention, they came out way ahead to file joint!

but doesn't a qualifying dependent have to meet all 3 tests to be allowed? (Relationship, Gross Income, & Support)

Boyfriend's preparer said he was allowed to take dependency exemption and I say he couldn't. Is there something I'm missing? Any comments are greatly appreciated. :blink:

You are right, all three tests must be met, and the GF fails the support test, she can't earn any more than one exemption amount (this year $3,300).

The boyfriend's preparer needs more training on the not so new rules.