ATX Community

IS ANYONE STILL TRYING TO DECIDE ON ATX?

kcjenkins

Just in case anyone else decided to wait to the last minute to make the decision on ATX, who went with TRW last yr, I want to share what I learned.

I waited, debated, etc, and when I did decide to stick with ATX, I tried to call either Ken or Troy, as we had been advised to do. Ken is no longer with them, and Troy is now moved up out of sales into management [or maybe the other way round?] anyway, I got switched to a very nice person. Her info is:

Justice Schenone

800-495-4626 x1216

[email protected]

I asked for, and she got me, the $799 price on MAX, although she had to work it to get it for me. There is a $69 Processing fee, so the total price for MAX was $868.

I still don't, and never will, understand the different pricing for different folks. It isn't like pricing out a tax return wherein some are much more difficult and time consuming than others. We all get the same disks, the same set of updates and books; who decides on the disparity in pricing and why?

I am not complaining. My decisions whether to purchase or not are based on my own personal needs. My need for support, or not, is based on my own knowledge. Just perplexed, that's all.

In addition, I don't feel than anyone should be revealing how much they did or did not pay on this board for all to see. Where I work, it is grounds for immediate dismissal to discuss how much our hourly wage is. Some things should just not be talked about in the interest of other peoples' feelings. IMO

I understand where your frustration comes from. But on the other hand if we share this info, then it might give each of us some benchmarks when negotiating next year, whether with ATX or with another vendor. I suppose in a perfect world, everybody would pay exactly the same price for the same product. But that isn't the world we actually inhabit, so we individually need to gain as much info as possible and then use it wisely. And on those occasions when I'm inclined to think I've been treated unfairly in what I paid for something I need or want, I always turn to Matthew 20:1-16 to regain my perspective. (As jainen pointed out on a similar thread on this forum last year)

Your comment about company rules regarding revealing one's pay reminds me of the sign on the time clock when I worked for A&P Supermarkets as a teenager. It said something to the effect that what you earn is between you and the company and should never be discusseed with anyone. Right below it, someone stuck a note that said "Don't worry. I wouldn't dare tell anyone what A&P pays me because I'm just as ashamed of it as you are."

>>Your comment about company rules regarding revealing one's pay reminds me of the sign on the time clock when I worked for A&P Supermarkets as a teenager. It said something to the effect that what you earn is between you and the company and should never be discusseed with anyone. Right below it, someone stuck a note that said "Don't worry. I wouldn't dare tell anyone what A&P pays me because I'm just as ashamed of it as you are."<<

John, you weren't the one that wrote that note were you? Somehow, that sounds like something you might would have done. You are pretty witty in some of your postings. :P

I still don't, and never will, understand the different pricing for different folks. It isn't like pricing out a tax return wherein some are much more difficult and time consuming than others. We all get the same disks, the same set of updates and books; who decides on the disparity in pricing and why?

I am not complaining. My decisions whether to purchase or not are based on my own personal needs. My need for support, or not, is based on my own knowledge. Just perplexed, that's all.

In addition, I don't feel than anyone should be revealing how much they did or did not pay on this board for all to see. Where I work, it is grounds for immediate dismissal to discuss how much our hourly wage is. Some things should just not be talked about in the interest of other peoples' feelings. IMO

I don't think that sharing that info should make anyone have hurt feelings, I'm sorry if you felt hurt. I started out by mentioning that I was considering the $499 offer from TRW, but that if I could get the $799 offer that had been made to me back at the start, I would prefer to stay with ATX. She said she would try, and eventually she got it for me. Had I not read here earlier in the year that some had gotten that deal after the deadline passed, I might not have tried for it. That is why I decided to share the info, in case anyone else was still considering. I know there are members of our community who do not buy until Jan every year.

My feelings are not hurt in the least. I have been with ATX and Saber since 1966 and certainly am aware of the ins and outs of negotiations. I just thought that it probably wasn't a very nice thing to hear for preparers who paid full price. Heck, I negotiated for months with them last year to get the promised $100 referral fee for a colleague who bought and kept ATX Max. In the end I got it (sort of) as it shows in my account as a credit. It was not issued until after I paid for this year's program. That way they might keep me coming back, right? Maybe and maybe not. I have just never understood why those who left ATX in 2009 and returned in 2010 were given preference.; and I am not saying whether I was one of those or not. I understand the nuances of shopping around and everyone not paying the same price for the same product; but this isn't exactly a product that you can purchase on EBay or Amazon.

Taking this one step further, I am not ashamed of what my part-time Employer pays me. It is a very generous wage. It is just that nobody inoffice knows what anyone else is being paid and it is company policy not to discuss it. We all know we are being paid on our merits and can negotiate with management at any time.

As far as price negotiations with ATX go, it is a known fact that if you did not use TRX last year, you don't have a prayer of getting a better deal. End of Story!

I think it would be best to stay mum on the price paid for the program.

I actually like ATX, having been with them (through thick and thin) for about 10 years. If other users of ATX on this board see that they paid a lot more than the prices quoted here, it could be reason enough for them to leave ATX - whether it be for price or because they did not think they were treated fairly.

If this happens and ATX becomes a software company of the past, I will have to find some other software which I do not want to do. I am comfortable with the program and I enjoy using this board to find out what other users have contributed on the use of the program or on tax issues.

So, IMHO keeping quiet on price is a better approach; and more importantly, ATX should be more consistent in pricing their software.

this is our board and not the "official atx board" this is not company owned and was started in part due to the censorship of the other board. we have every right to discuss what we want here as long as eric agrees. discussing prices and helping us negotiate could only help us get the best pricing available.

I appreciate the fact that people are sharing the fact that a deal is available. Just curious, what do you guys use for tax research and what is the cost?

For years had Kleinrock, then ATX, then Intelli.... This year dropped ATX TTO down to MAX. Instead purchased TRX Alliance $299 deal which is 'supposed' to come with RIA Research. the Research part of the subscription does not yet work. In addition have Tax Analysts research @ ~ $370 per year. If I can ever get the RIA research to work, and like it, then next year I'll drop Tax Analysts. Have to reserve judgement on the TRX/RIA research since it doesn't work, yet.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, FNTPI, NP

Kenner, LA

I have been with ATX and Saber since 1966

Really? What did the software look like back then? Did you have one of those systems you had to peddle to make it work? :)

I also am a user from the Saber days.

I don't grumble too much about what deal someone else may get that I don't. This software has made me alot of money over the years. It is a good product fairly priced - even without the price break.

As to negotiating prices, and this has nothing to do with ATX, but my wife used to own a gift and card shop. And we joke about the people that would come in and complain about the price; come back when the price was rock bottom on sale - and then ask to have the item gift wrapped for free.

Really? What did the software look like back then? Did you have one of those systems you had to peddle to make it work? :)

I also am a user from the Saber days.

Do you still remember the roar of the tiger? I did love hearing that roar on startup. I have been with them since Intuit bought out Parsons Technology and I saw an ad in a magazine featuring that tiger. I thought it was too good to be true. BUT, it was true and it was a lot for the price then and has only gotten better and better over the years. I hope this program is around as long as I am still in the business.

I did not use it as my tax program in those days, but I did get a copy to use for 1099s and W-2s, since my MUCH MORE expensive software did not include that, you had to buy another module that cost about $500 and the Saber program was peanuts compared to that. I do remember the ROAR, which was much better than that talking Parrot!

It's fascinating tho, to go back to the 2000 program and look at how simple it was compared to today. The software has improved tremendously over the years. Sadly the tax code has not. But ATX is still a great bargain, IMO, given the incredible complexity added to the code in the last several years.

That was my route to ATX as well. I used Parsons Technology for 1040 returns, and Forms Xpert for business. FX was bought out by someone else and dismantled, too. I received the free Hot Forms offer (think Intelliforms for free), and got a flyer on "ATX Tax Solver", the prehistoric version of MAX. I've been with them ever since.

Speaking of prehistoric, I loved the Saber-Tooth Tiger, too. My receptionist's child sometimes came into the office, and she always wanted me to restart the software so that she could hear the roar.

Being an ATXer was a lot of fun in those days...

Yes, I do remember the tiger - and I miss that. I remember, still, the first time I heard that - I did not know which way to run. And the parrot? Come on KC, he was cute.

I have had reason to go back to the earlier years', and you are correct KC - they have come a long long way. We kind of miss how far they have come because it has been an evolution; but going back 10 years at one time gives a real appreciation for the progress.

Yes, I do remember the tiger - and I miss that. I remember, still, the first time I heard that - I did not know which way to run. And the parrot? Come on KC, he was cute.

I have had reason to go back to the earlier years', and you are correct KC - they have come a long long way. We kind of miss how far they have come because it has been an evolution; but going back 10 years at one time gives a real appreciation for the progress.

Thanks for the memories! I also remember the tiger's roar, the parrot...and don't forget Ozar the wizard....I just opened up the old program for kicks....It was so simplistic compared to today!

Thanks for the memories! I also remember the tiger's roar, the parrot...and don't forget Ozar the wizard....I just opened up the old program for kicks....It was so simplistic compared to today!

Many years ago another ATXer sent me a .gif file of a janitor pushing a broom with the heading "ATX Janitor Bob Edition". Tech support helped me use that picture instead of the ATX one....So whn I started the program, The splash screen was the Janitor Bob Edition. I loved it, but could never remember how to do it again and I do not remember the name of the ATXer who sent it to me.

But that was back in the days when we had a thank-you barbecue for the ATX folks after the season was over.