ATX Community

piggyback efiles

grandmabee

You are correct all states now go seperately. Hold the state. When the federal is accepted you will be asked if you want to release the state. You can either say yes to this prompt or just release it manually. Then you can transmit the state return. It is one more step...but on the other hand, if the Federal is rejected, you will not automatically have a rejected state as in the past (as long as you wait until fed is accepted to transmit the state). I also was surprised at this change and do not recall reading about it anywhere

You are correct all states now go seperately. Hold the state. When the federal is accepted you will be asked if you want to release the state. You can either say yes to this prompt or just release it manually. Then you can transmit the state return. It is one more step...but on the other hand, if the Federal is rejected, you will not automatically have a rejected state as in the past (as long as you wait until fed is accepted to transmit the state). I also was surprised at this change and do not recall reading about it anywhere

I think I dismissed that dialog box because last year I usually sent both the federal and state together, because the state was piggybacked. So if there was an error on the federal (SSN etc) the state would be rejected as well.

But now that I read this, it seems that the state will not be rejected in case there is an error. And since my state doesn't seem to verify against the SSN database to accept the e-file, the client will most likely get a letter asking for a copy of the SSN card to make the correction. :angry:

So how do I a activate this dialog box again? So when the federal is accepted, the program will automatically notify me that I can send the state? If not, I can see a logistical nightmare dealing with this.

I think I dismissed that dialog box because last year I usually sent both the federal and state together, because the state was piggybacked. So if there was an error on the federal (SSN etc) the state would be rejected as well.

But now that I read this, it seems that the state will not be rejected in case there is an error. And since my state doesn't seem to verify against the SSN database to accept the e-file, the client will most likely get a letter asking for a copy of the SSN card to make the correction. :angry:

So how do I a activate this dialog box again? So when the federal is accepted, the program will automatically notify me that I can send the state? If not, I can see a logistical nightmare dealing with this.

I see your point. You MUST hold the state and not release/transmit until after the Fed is accepted. If you do send both at the same time, you may have the problems you suggest.

I was happy that, upon receiving Federal Accptance, I was prompted by ATX to release the State

Michigan Efile issue found yesterday.

Proforma clients.... the shared secrets are brought over to the MI efile info screen.

BUT, it puts the refund/bal due in both places... So you have to check last years return to see if it is a

Refund OR Bal Due and delete the amount in the wrong box. The program should know if it is a refund or balance due and just put it in correct box!! Can't be in both.. It says "Or".

It also does the same thing with the box A ... AGI OR Household Income.. puts the same number in both boxes..

then we have to delete one or the other..

But the most inconvenient one I've gotten is a senior citizen who has to file a michigan but had no refund/ no bal due last year. So the proforma comes over as a "zero" in both boxes. It doesn't matter what I do ATX won't recognize the "zero" as a number. Keep getting a diagnostic.... Enter refund or bal due.

Called ATX... Rep had me send the return to him... Then he told me he had a quick fix for me... just check the other box on the screen and you won't need the shared secret..

I told him... thanks but I already know that.. but I will have to call the client back to sign a MI8453 and keep it in my file for years... I can do that, but I shouldn't have to.

I got him to send it on to the programmers to hopefully fix this. I guess I'll have to have everyone sign a MI8453

just to be safe for a while...

Taxtrio

Hi Chowdahead,

You might have figured this out by now, but in case you didn't, you can activate the 'Hold' process on the state if you go to the E-file tab and then click options menu and then preferences and then check the box that applies to what you want to do; Ask to hold and release, Always hold and release or never hold and release.

Have a great day!

I have about two dozen federal returns listed as ACCEPTED... but I have yet to get prompted to release the state for each return. In E-file Options, I have it set to "Always hold and release". When am supposed to get prompted to release the state e-file?

I have about two dozen federal returns listed as ACCEPTED... but I have yet to get prompted to release the state for each return. In E-file Options, I have it set to "Always hold and release". When am supposed to get prompted to release the state e-file?

I had that problem but lately, I have been asked if I want to release the state when I received efile acknowledgements. I think the program was not doing it by itself automatically.

The other choice is to go to each return HELD and check if its Fed counterpart is accepted. You need to open that return, create the state efile and click do not hold it. Go to efile manager and efile/send the created efile files.

I also do not get any prompt to release or anything.

When the Fed comes back ACKd; the held State return automatically changes to created. Therefore, if you click the created box to send the Fed returns that are ready to file and any acks come back; the state return will automatically show in the created window. (I know this sounds like Greek, but I have never gotten a prompt either, but have noticed that when the Fed is accepted, the State changes from "held" to "created". No matter whose idea it is, we have to deal with it and we need to learn how to deal with it in the most efficient manner without leaving any returns created and unfiled.

In Return Manager, click on "Preferences"

Then click on "E-File Manager"

Then click the circle beside "Always hold and release"

This will cause the "state only" e-files to always be created in the "Held" status until....

1) You receive an "Accepted" ack for the Federal return. The State e-file will be changed to "Created" automatically.

2) You manually change the "Held" status to "Created"

This will only apply to returns created or rolled over AFTER the change in the preferences is made.

The above settings will not affect any e-files transmitted as "Piggyback"

I had that problem but lately, I have been asked if I want to release the state when I received efile acknowledgements. I think the program was not doing it by itself automatically.

The other choice is to go to each return HELD and check if its Fed counterpart is accepted. You need to open that return, create the state efile and click do not hold it. Go to efile manager and efile/send the created efile files.

I create the state at the same time as the federal, and it holds, then I get the option once the Fed ack arrives.

I read somewhere that piggybacking is not supported in MeF.

Are you sure you have checked "Always hold and release". Just a thought

3 days ago, after reading this thread, I switched my program to "ALWAYS HOLD AND RELEASE", Since then I have created e-files for around 30 returns, and I noticed the State e-file was held, which I expected.

About 24 of them have been listed as "Accepted". Yet the corresponding state e-file for that e-file had not been released from the "Held" status, even though the Federal e-file was listed as Accepted.

So, out of frustration, I simply released all the state e-files being held and just transmitted them. I just don't have the time to go through each and every state e-file and manually verify that the Federal e-file was accepted. I was expecting the progam to do that for me.

I still have it set to "Always Hold and Release" so I'll see over the next few days if it starts working.

Here is my step-by-step of "Always Hold and Release"

When you are finished completing the tax return:

1) Create the the Federal & State E-files.

2) Save the return and close the return.

Under the E-File Manager you will see:

1) Federal return listed as 'Created'

2) State return listed as 'Held'.

Transmit the Federal return.

Once you receive 'ACK" the E-File Manager will now show:

1) Federal return listed as 'Accepted'

2) State return listed as 'Created'

Now just click on the State return and transmit.

Once you receive 'ACK' the State return will now show 'Accepted'

3 days ago, after reading this thread, I switched my program to "ALWAYS HOLD AND RELEASE", Since then I have created e-files for around 30 returns, and I noticed the State e-file was held, which I expected.

About 24 of them have been listed as "Accepted". Yet the corresponding state e-file for that e-file had not been released from the "Held" status, even though the Federal e-file was listed as Accepted.

So, out of frustration, I simply released all the state e-files being held and just transmitted them. I just don't have the time to go through each and every state e-file and manually verify that the Federal e-file was accepted. I was expecting the progam to do that for me.

I still have it set to "Always Hold and Release" so I'll see over the next few days if it starts working.