ATX Community

NY PTIN?

cientax

I am trying to efile NY state individual tax return along with Form 1040 for my stepdaughter and I do not charge her for doing so. But my problem is, how do I obtain a NY PTIN. The instuctions say that as long as I (we) have an IRS PTIN we can efile the NY income tax return. The ATX program for the form for efiling the NY return where I enter the PTIN requires eight (8) digits only but cannot start with the digit "ZERO" (0), but it will not accept it with the letter "P" which is what the PTIN starts with. Can someone please tell me how to efile the NY return along with the Federal return in this situation? This is a simple return for my child with only one W-2 and no additional schedules and the NY tax return. I lives in TEXAS and she lives in NY. Thank Y'ALL.

I am trying to efile NY state individual tax return along with Form 1040 for my stepdaughter and I do not charge her for doing so. But my problem is, how do I obtain a NY PTIN. The instuctions say that as long as I (we) have an IRS PTIN we can efile the NY income tax return. The ATX program for the form for efiling the NY return where I enter the PTIN requires eight (8) digits only but cannot start with the digit "ZERO" (0), but it will not accept it with the letter "P" which is what the PTIN starts with. Can someone please tell me how to efile the NY return along with the Federal return in this situation? This is a simple return for my child with only one W-2 and no additional schedules and the NY tax return. I lives in TEXAS and she lives in NY. Thank Y'ALL.

NYS preprarer registration is separate from the IRS. You will have a different ID number to report on the NY return. Go to http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm.

If you are a CPA or EA you will not have to pay the fee or obtain a number. But you still need to fill out the form, which includes a question on whether you are a CPA or EA.

NYS preprarer registration is separate from the IRS. You will have a different ID number to report on the NY return. Go to http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm.

If you are a CPA or EA you will not have to pay the fee or obtain a number. But you still need to fill out the form, which includes a question on whether you are a CPA or EA.

Now I'm confused! The website (proper link below) says if you are an EA you need to register only if you offer RALs.

taxbilly

http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm

Now I'm confused! The website (proper link below) says if you are an EA you need to register only if you offer RALs.

taxbilly

http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm

to prepare NY returns for $ you need a NY# if you prepare less than 10 there is no cost but you need to register with them on line. It is simple to do.

to prepare NY returns for $ you need a NY# if you prepare less than 10 there is no cost but you need to register with them on line. It is simple to do.

Except, as noted on the site cited, if you are a CPA, EA or atty and you do not offer RALs, you need not register.

The confusion arises from the paid preparer signature block on the IT-201. There is a space for the "Preparer's NYTPRIN", and also one for the "Preparer's PTIN or SSN". The instructions say to enter the NYTPRIN "if you are required to have one". An EA (who doesn't do RALs) is not required to have a NYTPRIN, so leaves the box blank. It would be clearer if there were a checkbox to indicate that a NYTPRIN was not required, but we save ink this way.

This return is for my child and she is not paying me, I am preparing it for free. Do I still need to register with NY state to get NYPTIN for a free return? I only prepare two NY returns and they are both done for free.

I think you still need to go to the link mentioned in the earlier response and open the link How To Register and use your social security number. After doing this, you can proceed to the registration page where you will be asked a series of questions. Most notably NY will ask if you prepared more than 10 NY returns in 2010, if you are a CPA or EA, and do you expect to file more than 10 returns in 2011. After all this, based on the info you gave here, you will likely not be required to register.

A CPA etc is Not required to register, point blank!