ATX Community

Plus loan interest

Margaret CPA in OH

When a parent takes a PLUS loan and takes ten years to repay, does that mean he can no longer deduct the loan interest after his child graduates and is no longer his dependent, can only deduct while a dependent? Of do they have to be a dependent only at the time the loan is made?

Which brings up another question: if divorced parents are alternating years, then the parent's PLUS loan interest can be deducted in only alternating years also?

But Pub 970, page 29, says "Student loan interest is interest you paid during the year on a qualified student loan. ... Qualified Student Loan - This is a loan you took out solely to pay qualified education expenses (defined later) that were:

* For you, your spouse, or A PERSON WHO WAS YOUR DEPENDENT WHEN YOU TOOK OUT THE LOAN (my emphasis).

From that I take it that I input the amount for the filer (student's mother's husband) if he is legally responsible for the loan. That I will have to check. They filed jointly so student was his dependent although not related.

But Pub 970, page 29, says "Student loan interest is interest you paid during the year on a qualified student loan. ... Qualified Student Loan - This is a loan you took out solely to pay qualified education expenses (defined later) that were:

* For you, your spouse, or A PERSON WHO WAS YOUR DEPENDENT WHEN YOU TOOK OUT THE LOAN (my emphasis).

From that I take it that I input the amount for the filer (student's mother's husband) if he is legally responsible for the loan. That I will have to check. They filed jointly so student was his dependent although not related.

I was just working on one of these too, I read it that if the taxpayer took out the loan and is responsible for repayment, and took out the loan when the student was his dependent, then the taxpayer can take the deduction as long as he is paying off the loan, even if the student is no longer his dependent.

Don't know if this applies to your situation, but pub. 970 also says:

"If you are the person legally obligated to make interest payments and someone else makes a payment of interest on your behalf, you are treated as receiving the payments from the other person and, in turn, paying the interest.

Way too much overthinking here.

A person cannot get a PLUS unless he/she has a student in post secondary education.

A person cannot get a Stafford (subsidized or un-subsidized), Perkins or private student loan unless they are a student in post secondary education.

Whomever's name is on the note can claim the student loan interest unless phased out for other reasons.