ATX Community

Depreciation - Converted from rental to personal

BulldogTom

Clents got married last year. He has house, she has house. They move into his house and start renting her house 1/1/10. Renters trash the place and move out 8/15. They fix her house back up and decide to move into it. His house is empty now.

They should get the 8 months of depreciation on the home for the period of rental. Shouldn't they? How do I make ATX give them that amount and then convert it to a personal residence again?

I am away from my office without research material.

Thanks

Tom

Lodi, CA (but in Fresno today)

Hi Ranger, that part I am well aware of.

I just wondered if Tom had found another solution to his dilemma.

Thanks, Lynn

Lynn Jacobs, EA, FNTPI, NP

Kenner, LA

I finally decided to follow the program and went to the disposition tab and filled it out correctly using the proper dates and the program did it for me. Adjusted the depreciation to the right amount and put it on the Sch E. Did not report on the 1040 as a sale. Sometimes you just need to stop trying to out think the software. It is kinda embarrassing that I even posted this.

Tom

Lodi, CA

KC, can you point out the section you referred to?

Page six of pub 946 say “property placed in service and disposed in the same year.” It makes no distinction between real and personal property.

Pub 946, page six:

“Even if the requirements explained in the preceding discussions

are met, you cannot depreciate the following property.

Property placed in service and disposed of in the same year….”

Ranger, that Pub does not cite a Code section for one good reason, there is no such section to cite.

Here is a good discussion of the subject, which I found very interesting. The author takes the position that the Code does not prohibit it for any property. And since the only reference found was to the "40% rule" and Real Estate is specifically exempted from the "40% rule", that tends to support my position, IMHO.

http://tinyurl.com/4ueh5rn

Years ago, I searched Tax Court rulings on this subject, and found something indicating that the court had allowed deprciation on real estate bought and sold in the same year, but I don't remember where I found it, and don't have the time to look for it again. I do, however, know that most professional tax software does not calculate it for personal property, but does for real estate, which I presume rests on the same basis as what I found years ago.

The 2009 CCH Master Depreciation Guide discusses this issue on pages 289 and 290. They refer to Reg. Section 1.168(i)-4©, which states about halfway through: “No depreciation deduction is allowable for MACRS property placed in service and disposed of in the same taxable year.”

It appears the statement in Pub 946 comes from the Reg. The CCH Master Depreciation author notes that in the past depreciation was allowed for real property placed in service and disposed in the same year.

PS: I don't know how those "faces" ended up in the reg posting below!

Reg. Section 1.168(i)-4©

Changes in use

© Conversion to personal use. The conversion of MACRS property from business or

income-producing use to personal use during a taxable year is treated as a disposition of

the property in that taxable year. The depreciation allowance for MACRS property for the

year of change in which the property is treated as being disposed of is determined by first

multiplying the adjusted depreciable basis of the property as of the first day of the year of

change by the applicable depreciation rate for that taxable year (for further guidance, for

example, see section 6 of Rev. Proc. 87-57 (1987-2 C. B. 687, 692) (see §

601.601(d)(2)(ii)(B ) of this chapter)). This amount is then multiplied by a fraction, the

numerator of which is the number of months (including fractions of months) the property

is deemed to be placed in service during the year of change (taking into account the

applicable convention) and the denominator of which is 12. No depreciation deduction is

allowable for MACRS property placed in service and disposed of in the same taxable

year. See §§ 1.168(k)-1T(f)(6)(ii) and 1.1400L(B )-1T(f)(6) for the additional first year

depreciation deduction rules applicable to property placed in service and converted to

personal use in the same taxable year. Upon the conversion to personal use, no gain, loss,

or depreciation recapture under section 1245 or section 1250 is recognized. However, the

provisions of section 1245 or section 1250 apply to any disposition of the converted

property by the taxpayer at a later date. For listed property (as defined in section

280F(d)(4)), see section 280F(B )(2) for the recapture of excess depreciation upon the

conversion to personal use.

>>asset bought sold same year<<

According to Pub 946, "To be depreciable, property must have a useful life that extends substantially beyond the year you place it in service." Quickfinder says baldly, "No depreciatiation deduction is allowed for property placed in service and disposed of in the same year." (Quickfinder says property converted to personal use is treated as a disposition for calculating MACRS, though recapture doesn't apply until it is actually sold or junked.) There are special rules for ACRS property, like kind exchanges, and involuntary conversions.