ATX Community

Identity Protection Personal Identification Number

Gloria

Client received a letter from IRS assigning him a 6 digit Identity Protection Personal Identifican Number for 2010. The instructions on the letter are as follows: If filing electronically, your tax software or practitioner will direct when your assigned six-digit identity theft Pin should be entered?

The PIN to sign an electronically filed document can only be 5 digits. Have any of your clients received such a letter? if so, where was the information entered? Thanks.

I got a client today and he said that the IRS instructed him to paper file and include a copy of the letter with the return. The IRS told him not to show the letter to anyone. I agree with the IRS and the client that the letter should not be shown to anyone. I prepared the return, attached form 8948 and gave him the envelop.

They can share the letter with their tax preparer. They will get a new pin number every year. I found where to enter the information on the ATX software. Enter the information in the Filer's Information Tab in the "IRS provided Identity Protecton Pin section," which is right above the Direct Deposit Information for paper filer's only. I started looking in the software program when I re-read the letter and it states that for a paper return, to enter the PIN in the gray box to the right of "Spouse's Occupation". After I entered the pin, the pin shows up in the gray box to the right of spouse's occupation.

Actually, I had a very long day yesterday and I did not read the letter thoroughly. I tried to call the IRS and ATX early this morning to find out how to handle the situation before going to my day job but they both kept me on hold too long so I hung up. This evening, when I got back from my day job, I pulled out the file and noticed the additional information that was on the right side of the letter and that is how I was able to figure out where to input the information. So sorry, I did not know how to handle the situation when I asked for help yesterday but now that I do I posted the information to help others that may get clients with these type of letters.