ATX Community

Just when you thought you heard em all

Eli

New client...well actually didn't become a client lol..walks in & hands me her paperwork. 2 w2's totalling about $3800. Says she does massage therapy for several beauty salons in the area. She also has two kids & provided SSN & birth certificates for both. So I ask how much she earned & if she has any proof of the income. She asks me for a tax book. I look at her & ask what she means & she responds that she needs a tax book that shows the amounts of the credits she gets compared to her income (EIC Table). I ask why & she responds that thats what she did with the previous preparer. Oh well one less new client :-)

Eli

New client...well actually didn't become a client lol..walks in & hands me her paperwork. 2 w2's totalling about $3800. Says she does massage therapy for several beauty salons in the area. She also has two kids & provided SSN & birth certificates for both. So I ask how much she earned & if she has any proof of the income. She asks me for a tax book. I look at her & ask what she means & she responds that she needs a tax book that shows the amounts of the credits she gets compared to her income (EIC Table). I ask why & she responds that thats what she did with the previous preparer. Oh well one less new client :-)

Eli

There will always be someone out there trying to get something for nothing.

That reminds me of a phone call I got many years ago, asking me How much should her husband should claim as income on his business to get the most back. I put her on hold, (this was my ex boss' client), I asked my boss what I should tell her, and she told me to look it up and give her the answer.

I got back on the phone and told her, she should call back later and speak to her preparer. AARRRGGG!

On the other hand I had a barber drop off literally thousands of copies of receipts that he gives his clients when they pay him. Plus lots of supply receipts. He expects me to add all this up? I'm going to have to charge him for this...

My engagement letter states that I charge by the hour for any additional accounting and bookkeeping required to get the books in order. Track your time, and charge for every minute! _Plus_ the return cost. He'll either learn to add, pay up promptly, or go elsewhere next year. In all three cases you probably come out ahead.

My engagement letter states that I charge by the hour for any additional accounting and bookkeeping required to get the books in order. Track your time, and charge for every minute! _Plus_ the return cost. He'll either learn to add, pay up promptly, or go elsewhere next year. In all three cases you probably come out ahead.

I have basically the same in my engagement letter and it definitely works. I have had more than one client say "I'll get back to you" and they all have.

new clients try that with my office, I tell them I would be glad to do it, rate is $75 be hour for bookkeeping, with a 5 hour min. charge, which is payable up front. but also tell them that most of the time they are looking at more time because there will always be questions as to what a receipt is for and when you figure that each time you call it is at least 10 min percall assuming you get them on the first try and more that likely it will be closer to 10 hours before your done and oh my the way, if you do not pay all fees before return is filed, you will only get back your receipts. so far never been taken up, but have gotten some very good clients out of this and have been with me for a long time. They just need to understand that what you are selling is your time and expertise in doing what you do. most people can add up receipts.

I have found that people who cheat think that all people do that and don't hesitate to ask others to do that. I have had quite a few people tell me they will pay me in cash so that I don't have to report it. I always tell them I report ALL my income, whether cash, check, or barter.

Isn't it amazing how many clients say they will give you cash with that little half wink. I give them the same answer you do.