ATX Community

Hiding returns

JAB

Change the name that shows as the file name. It does not have to match the name that is actually on the return. Then password.

Another option....

Password the file.

Export the file to another location on the computer or your flash drive

Delete the file from the program.

to get access later....

Import the file

make the changes etc.

Follow the steps above again.

• Like 1

Jack, how do you delete a return from the program? I have wanted to on occasion, but the program tells me I cannot delete e-filed returns, which is a real bummer.

Once e-filed, you are correct, it cannot be deleted. At this point you would need to rename the file and be very creative. If security is a real issue, keep your file on a separate computer.

Once e-filed, you are correct, it cannot be deleted. At this point you would need to rename the file and be very creative. If security is a real issue, keep your file on a separate computer.

Close ATX and go to your database folder on your server, locate the return and delete it. If needed, boot to safe mode and delete the file. Don't forget the backup folder too. Also, keep in mind that next year, you will not be able to roll it over until you restore that file.

Does that mean two admins can't password protect separate returns to keep each other out?

Yes and now. The other admin doesn't need to know the password in order to change it. If you are the bigger boss, you can threaten him/her that under no circunstances she/he should change passwords on returns without your consent. If your password is not working, then you will know that the other admin changed it and you can fire him/her.

• 5 months later...

Close ATX and go to your database folder on your server, locate the return and delete it. If needed, boot to safe mode and delete the file. Don't forget the backup folder too. Also, keep in mind that next year, you will not be able to roll it over until you restore that file.

If I prepare and paper file a return and then delete the tax return from ATX, is it still retrievable on the server?

If I prepare and paper file a return and then delete the tax return from ATX, is it still retrievable on the server?

Depends on when the backups are being made, most companys have their server make back ups while you are asleep, so if you make a return now, 30 minutes you delete it without exiting out ATX then there is no way to retreive it, but lets say you created the return, exit out of ATX, ATX will automatically make a backup, so if you reopen ATX and go ahead and delete the file, there is a copy under the backup folder :)