ATX Community

CCH Wake Up! I Don't Want TaxWise!!

micpa

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really loved about Max was that it had everything in one package. Every tax return and other returns, like sales & use, and 1099s, and efiling, and.... You never know what a customer will need in March 2009 when you're ordering in May 2008. Or, that client who says, "By the way, I never sent out any W-2s for 2005." And, my clients keep starting new companies. CT is a small state, so it's not unusual to need NY returns and RI and MA and NJ and PA, and people keep moving here from CA and WI...

I'm in on this one, too! I can only invest a little money, and no knowledge, but add lots of enthusiasm also.

My son-in-law is a programmer, and a couple of years ago when we saw what was starting to happen with ATX, I asked him about trying to put together a Linux-based tax program, but he couldn't find people with both tax and computer know-how. And I think it was a bit intimidating, trying to go up against the big guys. But we can do it.

Like it or not, I suspect that some how or some why, they will eventually combine ATX with the TaxWise program. It may not happen this year or next year, but I predict it will happen. From a sales point of view, TaxWise generates more revenue than ATX. Sure, ATX may be a better product, but I just can't see them keeping both products going. Something will have to give. I'm already hearing rumors they may just eliminate ZillionForms completely and replace it with another forms program. But if they replace ZillionForms, what will happen to MAX? ZillionForms and MAX are tied together. If you get rid of one you get rid of both programs. Am I right about this? I believe that CCH has their own forms program (called PPIII??, I think). Do you really think they're going to keep both ZillionForms and PPIII? Something will have to give.

I have been away from the forum for a few days but am delighted to see this topic brought up. Two years ago at the IRS National Forum in Atlanta I mentioned this very idea to William as an alternative to ATX selling out to big companies.

I do see issues with selling to a large number of investors in multiple states -- that needs to be addressed. Also the non-compete agreements may be a lesser issue.

I am definitely interested in following the progress of this idea. I have no connections to CCH other than sending them $$$ for Max this year.

I am going to close this thread now. When Mel has any more info for us, or questions for us, he can open a new thread on that specific issue. And, of course, he can email any of us directly by clicking on a member's name and then selecting 'Send message'.

And any of you can contact him directly the same way.