ATX Community

CCH Users

Lion EA

I have a favor to ask of CCH Users who receive Partners magazine. I'm featured in the Spring 2011 issue on pages 6 & 7. They sent me five copies, but I'd love more. Please send me your Spring issue when you're done with it. I'll be glad to reimburse postage or make another donation to our ATX Community. Thank you very much.

Rita Lewis

Dollars & Sense, LLC

73 Eleven O'Clock Road

Weston, CT 06883-2503

Aww. You make me feel like a celebrity! The magazine's art director stressed copywrite laws and forbid me to use the article or photos for any commercial purpose, such as on my website. Now that the magazine is out, I'll ask her if sharing it with my colleagues on a message board would be personal use and, therefore, allowed.

I thought you would like to start receiving Partners, CCH's new quarterly publication. Partners provides winning tips and techniques, groundbreaking new ideas and best practices that will help you improve your workflow and all you to build and sustain your profitable business. If you want to receive a FREE subscription, visit http://tax.cchgroup.com/cforms/taa-default.aspx?leadsource=subscribe-partners

Thanks, I just signed up. Then I read the article - great spread, Rita. Good for you and continued success. You and I have many similarities in our practices, too. I have used fx in other offices but can't justify the expense - yet! Maybe another year although I am kind of winding down even though 2 new clients this year are in that preferred category. I have an MBA with Taxation specialty and am a CPA so do prefer harder over easier except when sleep deprived!

Thanks again for sharing!

It's a good magazine, even without using any CCH products.

When it's April and I'm tired, fx is worth every penny I pay! I received a 50% discount for a small, start-up company, locked for three years, back when I began. But, I now use pay-per-return which works out better. And, once a customer, most other products are 25% off.

Thanks for posting the link, Gail. I found after I posted the free subscription info that the magazine is actually available there, too.

The photographer and his assistant spent hours laying out my office for their shoot (after I'd been up much of the night cleaning and boxing up stuff to stash in the guestroom!). Lights and reflectors and moving furniture and having me grab the kids' photos from another room and a mug. I did buy a plant the day before, so it wouldn't die before it got photographed. My daughter removed the hutch from my computer desk so it looked more like an executive desk and blocked the window less. I loved that lamp but hadn't had a place to use it in my house for years, but put it on the desk to fill in the space where the hutch used to be below the poster on the wall. I got my hair cut that morning.

But, all of you home-based preparers will appreciate that the art director told me to have five business outfits available for the photographer to choose from. I don't have FIVE business outfits. I see people only once/year so can wear the same thing over and over. (And, when no clients are expected, I'm in my flannel pajamas and fuzzy slippers.) Muted colors, no prints, no black or white or red or yellow, etc. Well, my daughter and I hit Macy's after Christmas sales to buy me some tops to wear with my black skirt. I did have five choices for him; and he had me use three of them, changing into each twice for close ups and distance shots. My make-up and hair were a mess from all that changing and the static electricity. The final outfit consisted of a gray sheath I found on sale at Banana Republic for $19 and a cardigan from Macy's for $4.

The magic of photography!

CCH posted the video on that same page now:

http://www.cchgroup.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/content_partners_default

I was still missing the connection for my third monitor, the hutch was still on my computer desk, and I hadn't cleaned up my bookshelves.

If a file uploaded, it's my office when I finished cleaning it for the photo shoot; and it's never looked like that again!

Like I say, I had to take a picture to prove to myself that I wasn't dreaming. I really do have a floor and a desktop buried under all those stacks of returns and mail and stuff. You should've seen it when the kids came to stay. Then I had to move all the boxes out of the guestroom and pile them high on my client chairs and my floor. Still have some boxes in my basement that I haven't unpacked from when I left Block years ago! Would've been so much easier if they'd done this article after tax season, but it was a lot of fun and a definite change of pace from taxes.

I love ProSystem fx. I get the best price for my selection of returns by doing pay-per-return (have to buy unlimited something, so it's CT, with federal and other states and entities pay-per-return).

I had looked at ProSeries, but the salesman admitted it couldn't handle some of my more complex returns (don't remember what the issue was, AMT? KiddyTax? Huge Schedule Ds?) so was going to give me Lacerte free with ProSeries, so I could use Lacerte pay-per-return when needed. I didn't want to learn two new software packages at once, so went back to the drawing board to re-demo Lacerte, Ultra Tax, and ProSystem fx. Was impressed with ProSystem fx support and have never regretted my decision.