ATX Community

Forum Upgrade, part 2

Eric

Alright, the upgrade is finished, but there are still some broken things that I'm taking care of. You'll notice that some people's avatars are busted, that's first on my list to correct.

If you notice anything that seems out of place, please mention it here!

Some of the new features aren't enabled yet, as I'm still configuring them. I'm adding a tagging system soon. I'm going to add all of the state abbreviations as tags that can be associated with topics, but I'm looking to you folks to provide me with more tags that would be useful, such as tax terms (NOL, EFILE, AMT, etc) so please list those here as well, especially terms shorter than the minimum 4 characters that are allowed in the search.

Please make sure that if we type efile on the search, we find all the topics with efile and e-file words on it. Maybe dep and depreciation should be interchangeable on searchs. IRA should bring up IRA and individual retirment plan (this one might be tricky). So far I like the new forum!!! Thank you.

Eric, you are always working so hard to constantly improve our experience here and it is much appreciated. Having said that, I fear that I am going to have to leave the forum because it gets increasingly hard for me to manage. The heading at the top takes up about a third or more of my screen (with existing task bars that I use) and now the text spreads completely across the screen. Because of my aging eyes, I have to have slightly larger print size on my 17" monitor. No, I can't get yet a larger one because of limited desk space with 2 monitors. If you have any suggestions that might be useful, please share. I tried to reduce the type and could barely read it. You know, getting older isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Thanks for ALL you efforts!

• Like 1

Eric, you are always working so hard to constantly improve our experience here and it is much appreciated. Having said that, I fear that I am going to have to leave the forum because it gets increasingly hard for me to manage. The heading at the top takes up about a third or more of my screen (with existing task bars that I use) and now the text spreads completely across the screen. Because of my aging eyes, I have to have slightly larger print size on my 17" monitor. No, I can't get yet a larger one because of limited desk space with 2 monitors. If you have any suggestions that might be useful, please share. I tried to reduce the type and could barely read it. You know, getting older isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Thanks for ALL you efforts!

For security reasons I must always upgrade to the latest version of the software... this latest version seems to require 1024x768 resolution or better. My first suggestion would be to try the mobile template that is optimized for small screens which you can choose at the very bottom left corner of the page. Click Change Theme and choose IP.Board Mobile. You might also try the Google Chrome browser which would do the best at utilizing your limited screen real estate.

Let me know if either option works for you and if not, I think the next step would be to shop for a secondary template for the site. If you want to take a look at templates, look at ibforumskins.com and preview the ones that are marked "Version 3.2"

Please make sure that if we type efile on the search, we find all the topics with efile and e-file words on it. Maybe dep and depreciation should be interchangeable on searchs. IRA should bring up IRA and individual retirment plan (this one might be tricky). So far I like the new forum!!! Thank you.

I will add those features to the Google Search option, but the forum search doesn't have that sort of flexibility.

EDIT: Done. You can test it by going to the Google Search page, and doing a search for "dep" which should now bring up results containing the word "depreciation"

Also, I think it would really benefit the community if people utilized the new tagging feature, which you'll see when you create new threads. I have assigned a bunch of random tags to this thread, which you'll see at the top of this thread, as well in thread list.

Tags can be searched, or you can click a tag to view all threads that contain that tag. I've also gone though and assigned the NOL tag to a few threads as an example: http://www.atxcommun...arch_app=forums

Right now the tag list includes a few key terms as well as all state abbreviations. If anyone has suggestions for tags, I'll add them to the list. I'll also consider making a few more members forum moderators so that we can have people adding tags to threads that need them (if anyone is willing, that is)

Also the link to ATX?

Links to the Google Search, MyATX, and Donation page are all back up there now.

When I opened this forum, there were three unread messages. I clicked on one of them and the "unread" highlight disappeared on all of them.

That's how it's supposed to work. I think it's weird too, but it's designed to work the same way Facebook does. As soon as you click on the messages, it assumes you have been properly notified, and the red thing goes away. Unread messages should still show as unread (bold font), however.

I want to know if your little ones are allowing you to sleep yet? They are PRICELESS!! My youngest will be 24 in a couple of weeks. Seems like just last week we brought her home from the hospital!!

Sleep, are you kidding me? There has been some improvement there, but they're never on the same schedule. Sometimes one of them will want to sleep in, but rarely do they both want to sleep in at the same time :)

I'm staying at home with them through September and October and trying to work a bit from home. They make a 30 hour work week feel like 80, haha.