ATX Community

W-2's and 1099's

Diane

I have a payroll client who is closing down as of 10/31/2011. I have everything I need to prepare the W-2's and 1099's. I'm going to prepare the forms as soon as the software is available. My question -- should these forms be mailed as soon as they are prepared? Or, should (or can) they be mailed in January?

Diane

Taken from IRS W-2 instructions:

" Terminating a business. If you terminate your business, you must provide Forms W-2 to your employees for the calendar year of termination by the due date of your final Form 941. You also must file Forms W-2 with the SSA by the last day of the month that follows the due date of your final Form 941. If filing on paper, make sure you obtain Forms W-2 and W-3 preprinted with the correct year. If e-filing, make sure your software has been updated for the current tax year. "

So you're OK to wait until Jan 2012 to do it all, unless you just want to get it out of the way before the rush comes. But even if I did prepare and mail them early, I'd go ahead and prepare duplicates to have ready when most of the employees call in late January or early February to complain that they never received their W-2.

I like to send forms them to recipients as soon as I can, holding the IRS and SSA forms until closer to the deadline. That gives time to find out someone changed an address, made a type in a SS#, misspelled a name, etc., before the government forms are filed. You can always print or copy a form for a recipient who misplaces theirs whenever needed. But, I hate do file new W-2Cs &/or corrected Forms 1096.