ATX Community

e-file end of season war stories

cred65

Two separate clients (both flakes) took it down to the wire for e-filing deadline which was supposed to be 10/17 12AM.

I never received 8879 from a client to whom I had delivered tax return 5 weeks ago (also tried followup contact), so I did not e-file return. Yesterday (10/19) I received an e-mail from him and a picture of him at a mail box in Denver sending me the form (I'm in Cinti, OH and received it today), So I went ahead and transmitted the e-file yesterday. Today I get a confirmation of acceptance for the fed return. So the feds are not following their posted rules. Go figure.

The other flake calls my office on 10/17 @ around 8PM and tells me to e-file. So I LogMeIn from home and was able to transmit her e-file. She had in her possession Form 8879 but did e-mail it to me. I followed up with repeat e-mails but no response. If I do not receive it my e-mail or snail mail what would be the proper course of action. TIA

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Updated 10-13-11: Legacy and MeF 1040 efile deadlines-also refer to the IRS Quick Alert at the bottom of this email.

The deadline for timely efiled 1040 returns (legacy or MeF) is Oct 17 at midnight (we recommend that you send your efiles to us at least 2 hours ahead of the deadline to give our EFC ample time to send to IRS)

Any rejects should be fixed and resubmitted by Oct 22nd

The IRS will continue to accept efiles after Oct 17th, but they may not be considered timely filed. The deadline to efile legacy 1040 returns is Oct 31st midnight, whether or not an extension was filed, and whether or not affected by the disaster designations. But those returns will not be considered timely filed unless they have the disaster designation on them.

Two separate clients (both flakes) took it down to the wire for e-filing deadline which was supposed to be 10/17 12AM... So I went ahead and transmitted the e-file yesterday. Today I get a confirmation of acceptance for the fed return. So the feds are not following their posted rules. Go figure.

Great, I just gave one of my flakes a 30-page return to MAIL. Oh, and my toner light is on now. Great.

I really MUST start reading these Quick Alerts.

>>I just gave one of my flakes a 30-page return to MAIL<<

Well, I waited until this morning to reprint a whole family, and already phoned them to say I would bring it over. I think I must be the flake! Luckily I read this thread just now, and sent the e-files off, and called them back, and ate some ice cream. I feel better now.

I think we have NAEA to thank for putting pressure on the IRS to keep e-file open after 17 October due to the many disaster areas with 31 October deadlines. They argued that it made no sense for the IRS to require e-filing and then not to have it available. So, we ALL can continue to e-file, but only qualified returns will avoid late filing penalties.