ATX Community

Is anyone from ATX listening?

JJStephens

If anyone from ATX is listening in (I know a few of you have been here incognito in the past)--many of us have truly valued the help we've gotten from this board and from the old official board. Now that the powers that be decided the old offical ATX board was a worthless endeavor I wonder if they would give it to those us who valued it.

Frankly, I have no idea what that would involve and it might be technologically impossible. But if it can be done it sure would be nice to have access to all that archived wisdom (and a few assorted other things!).

I am almost positive that the old ATX Community is incompatible with the infrastructure that this site is running on. Technologically speaking, everything is most likely different from server operating system and software, to the database engine used.

The easiest solution would be for them to at least allow customers to access the archive. I don't think that's very likely. Another possibility that wouldn't require them to host anything, would be that they provide a static copy of the archive in plain HTML (no database) that I could host here. That's probably even less likely. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, though. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Beyond doubting that they would 'give up control' of the old forum data, I wonder if they are going to go after the name for legal reasons. Personally I feel that someone resurecting the board is a good thing, but the ATX today is not the ATX of yesteryear.
i have also wondered about about the name use. someone else suggested XATXERS. regarding 'yesteryear' - i am reminded of the saying : "money talks (not that there is anything wrong with that) and B/S walks (us poor individual tax preparers trying to get by)".

I'm a newbie on this board. I'm NOT an ATX user. I'm an UltraTax customer (Thompson Tax & Accounting) but I really enjoy the exchange of information among practitioners regardless of which product they use for tax preparation. I do frequent the ARNE2 board (UltraTax's ATX community)

I know nothing of what was on the previous board and can't comment on it.

IF changes are going to be made here, I suggest that the forums be organized to represent the major classification of needs of the users.

For example, on ARNE2 - the forums are broken out as follows: 1 forum for each major product Thompson sells to accountants, then a forum for accounting and tax issues, then a forum for classified ad posts, and a miscellaneous. The NAEA board has its member board organized by tax subject - so if I have a question on a specific tax subject - I post it on that specific board forum.

I guess this is a perfect opportunity for ATX users to utilize their prior experience from board use and improve on it.

Although I may not post here frequently, I do appreciate the opportunity to pop in here to read about concerns of practitioners and responses on how to handle specific issues.

What I normally do - from ANY of the boards I do use - is if I see a subject pertaining to a client I have and a specific problem, when there are responsible replies to that inquiry, I print out a copy of it and keep it in that specific client's file for future reference.

Once again, I'd like to express my thank you to ATX for being able to use this board and I hope that I can be of assistance to other practitioners in the process.

Once again, I'd like to express my thank you to ATX for being able to use this board and I hope that I can be of assistance to other practitioners in the process.

You're welcome here as are all tax practitioners. One small correction though, please be assured that ATX has NOTHING to do with this board, with the exception that many of us are (or were) ATX users.

ATX, when it was still ATX, and not corrupted by its present ownership, had an extremely useful board with 1000's of archived articles. That board was removed by the new owners and is no longer available, including the archives.

erc began this board...on his own...with no ulterior motive other than to give the "old" ATXers a place to come and with the hope that this board will ultimately become as useful as the old ATX board.

erc has no affiliation with ATX or any other software vendor (of which we are aware) and, as unusual as it may sound in 2007, he did it for the good of the users. Outstanding attitude, isn't it?

Welcome to the board and don't forget to donate, see the button above.

I posted a similar request about 2 weeks ago as I totally agree with your idea. The feedback as you can see was less than positive.

However I would move to pursue this effort in that it could turn out to be the wakeuip call that CCH needs and in addition what's the downside, they say no?

Good luck.

Mike Dubin CPA

CCH does not think the small number of Community users is a big enough number to make any difference. Let's face it, they are correct, from a dollars and cents point of view. But while I think it was lousy marketing to kill the Community on the date they choose, that just shows that they are not that concerned about the 'base'. If they had kept it for just another month or two, even if they 'edited' out certain posters, they would have gotten a heck of a lot of 'early renewals' that they will not get now.