ATX Community

Which package will you use?

JJStephens

Last year I switched to TRX after about 12 years with ATX. I went okay. I'm still not sold on the software they offered last year but I'm also not convinced their new proprietary package is ready for prime time. I haven't tried it in a while but last time I ran a dummy return (about six weeks ago) it was very slow and didn't handle several things.

So my question is this: have any of you made a call on which you're going to go with this year? Why?

I too switched from ATX after 7 years. I feel that I am better off staying with TaxWorks so long as it is being offered. My reasoning is that,

1-I like the software and feel comfortable with the learning curve.

2-Don't want to think about conversion again at this time

3-I don't wish to participate in a beta test with their home grown software.

Best of luck

Mike Dubin CPA

I agree with all of the above. I haven't tested their new product since April or May. I've already signed up for TaxWorks so I didn't see much point to testing their new software again this year. Maybe next year? But I'm also not interested in going through another conversion before I have to. But, hey if the new product turns out to be really good next year or in future years, it might be worth changing.

I used ATX for 17 years and saw a lot of improvement during that time. The first year I used it, I had to have an Excel program for ATX to work off of and printed the data on plain paper and used templates to copy the data to the respective forms on my copier. There have been a lot of improvements since that time and the price has gone up with the improvements. ATX was the only program I had used until last year when I went with Tax Works because of the difference in price. It was a big adjustment for me and I'm not ready to go through that again (you know, teaching an old dog new tricks), I'll stick with Tax Works for now. I like a lot of the features in Tax Works but I like ATX better, but not enough to pay the higher price.

I used ATX for about 8 years, but when CCH got it and raised the price above what I can afford (ffor the small amount of returns I do), I switched to TRX and TaxWise.

I did not like TaxWise except for the price I was paying for it.

Last year when TRX went to TaxWorks, i was doubtful, but was happy with the way it all turned out.

To me TaxWorks is way better than ATX.

TaxWorks has a lot more going for it than ATX.

Sounds like everyone is in about the same place I am. I'll probably stick with TW this year and consider TRX's new package next year (after someone else helps them work out all the bugs). I talked with a TRX tech a couple weeks ago. She told me they had made massive improvements in the new package and she really likes it (like she was going to say anything else!). Even still, I'll pass on being a guinea pig.

TW isn't bad but it still seems a bit clunky and at times, downright counter-intuitive. There are a whole boatload of simple tweaks that would make it a lot more user-friendly. I've suggested some but haven't heard anything back from anyone. I'm anxious to see what it's going to look like. ATX is already out with their software--hopefully ours will be here soon.

I also agree Mike D.

There is one BIG reason I want to keep TaxWorks for 2011. I used TaxWise for 2009 and TaxWorks for 2010.

TaxWorks Depreciation Schedule when printed out was 1 and 1/3 pages, where as TaxWise took 14 pages!!

This is just for 1 client and I have more C clients than the balance of the returns I prepare. Wasted Paper!!!

I did not download the other software TRX have for 2011, so I do not know about their

Depreciation Schedule.

joane

Similarr story here. Was with ATX since it was Saber (1996 I believe). Switched to TRX (Taxworks ) last year for the 2010 filing season and it went surprisingly well. I had very little problems with the conversions and the learning curve wasnt too bad so I decided to go with Taxwoks again this year (the 2011 filing season). I agree that the homegrown product looked a bit rough around the edges whenI first looked at it but it alos lokked like it had some nice feature that TaxWorks didnt. Eventually they are going to drop TaxWorks and only offer their own product, maybe as soon as the 2012 filing season. So I'llhave to cross that bridge when come to it. The one thing using TaxWorks last year taught me is that conversions are nearly as bad as I imagined it would be...at least that one wasn't. And since TRX is currently selling TaxWorks I would think that they would make an extra effort to make sure that their in house product would be very good at a TaxWorks conversion. And you cant beat the price and the guarantee of $299 for all that you get.

I hope you are right that TRX will make a conversion utility that is as smooth as possible. But I have to admit the worst conversion I did was from TaxWise to ATX when both software packages were offered by CCH. About the only files that converted properly were the ones with only W-2s. I practically had to re-enter every tax return. But I think TRX has more reason to make an easy conversion than CCH does.

>>And you cant beat the price and the guarantee of $299 for all that you get.<<

I think the $299 lifetime guarantee is only for the Tax Works program. I haven't seen anything that says that it applies to TRX in general. This year both programs are the same price, but I haven't seen anything that says the lifetime guarantee applies to both programs. I hope I am wrong.

It is my understanding that should TRX not provide TaxWorks they will in fact offer similar software packages, whatever is available at the time, for the same guaranteed prices.

Point in fact, I originally purchased ATX from TRX for 2009 and as we all are aware they lost their license with ATX for 2010 and offered TaxWorks for the same guaranreed prices!

I am comfortable with this model and will work to hold them to their word.

Mike Dubin CPA

I hope you are right that TRX will make a conversion utility that is as smooth as possible. But I have to admit the worst conversion I did was from TaxWise to ATX when both software packages were offered by CCH. About the only files that converted properly were the ones with only W-2s. I practically had to re-enter every tax return. But I think TRX has more reason to make an easy conversion than CCH does.

You have to realize that TaxWise is made to serve the IRS, and they care less about conversion to other programs even if they own it.

TaxWise was the worst program I have ever used, but it was cheap from TRX!

It is my understanding that should TRX not provide TaxWorks they will in fact offer similar software packages, whatever is available at the time, for the same guaranteed prices.

Point in fact, I originally purchased ATX from TRX for 2009 and as we all are aware they lost their license with ATX for 2010 and offered TaxWorks for the same guaranreed prices!

I am comfortable with this model and will work to hold them to their word.

Mike Dubin CPA

If I remember correctly, they lost their license with ATX due to the members of this board sounding off to ATX about the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the demo of TaxExact Pro last summer and found several problems, such as a limit on the number of k-1s allowed, no adjustment in the size of the input screen, slow response in opening a client and failing to show existing clients in the existing client list. I had selected this program last April in liew of TRX Pro 1040, which I used last year in addition to ATX. I reported my problems with the demo during the summer to TRX and was advised that it was just a demo and this years version would correct all of my concerns. When I installed the program last week and tested it I found all of the same above problems. If it is not improved soon, I will have to switch back to TRX Pro 1040 which they authorized back in April.