ATX Community

NT/Merry Christmas!

Catherine

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Thanks to all of you for your help. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have someone else to bounce questions off of.

My husband should get home from the hospital tomorrow. The shoulder surgery went well. He is in quite a bit of pain and the recovery period is long. We didn't know that he won't be able to drive or lift anything heavier than a coffee cup with his left hand for six weeks. That is going to seriously make my life more difficult during tax season, since he did all of my errand running and now I will have to take him to rehab and more doctor appointments. I'm really glad that I moved my office home so my hours are more flexible.

• Like 1

My husband had total shoulder replacement the end of June and bounced back really fast. Steve was on pain meds for one night in the hospital and a couple more at home. At his 10-day check-up, they took out his stitches. The surgeon told my husband that he could drive as long as he wasn't on pain medicine and told me to do NOTHING for him anymore. A therapist had come to the house until then. Once he could drive, Steve went for therapy. He finished physical therapy in November, and the therapist told him to have his trainer at our gym "take off the training wheels." Steve is so thrilled with his new shoulder that he can't wait to schedule his other side in the spring. He'd have done it already if CT's winter weather and putting coats on with a sling wouldn't prolong his recovery! Steve had some set-backs during our power outages during Hurricane Irene and the October storm when he was lugging buckets of water up from the basement to flush toilets, but it was just bursitis from overusing his muscles. He was frustrated that he had to slow down his therapy for the bursitis. His new shoulder is so much better than it'd been in years.

Urge your husband to take pain meds when he needs them. And, the best thing we bought was the "ice machine" thing that circulates cold water to the right spot; you don't have to run to the freezer to refill ice bags every hour so you both get more sleep. Also, talk to your insurance company about a physical therapist coming to your home until your husband can drive.

I wish your husband recovers as quickly as mine, and I wish you're off the hook as soon as I was. Feel free to contact me if you need to talk.

• Like 2

And, Merry Christmas from Wisconsin where we have no snow and that makes many of us happy. People are already calling for appointments in Feb, which is probably the direct result of sending out engagement letters early in the form of Holiday Greetings. I am with Joan and need to get my office cleaned. In our case, this will be a very blessed Christmas as we are all well at this point. My very best to all of you. Could not continue without the help of all my friends and colleagues on this board.

• Like 1

PS to NECPA: Tell your husband to DO THE THERAPY AND ALL THE EXERCISES HE'S TO DO ON HIS OWN, ALSO. The therapy/exercise makes all the difference. My husband talked to lots of people who had shoulder surgery (and hand) from his surgeon before deciding, and all were pleased with the procedure and progress -- except the one who did not do her exercises and was complaining about lack of range of motion and continuing pain. Do the exercises and then ice. Pain meds if needed. One person said they took pain meds before going to each therapy appointment (not recommended if he's driving!!). Steve would ice after therapy and after exercising and take pain meds at bedtime if needed.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. He has been doing his exercises. It is very painful still and then he has to lie down for awhile. He tried to do too much today and will have to back off. He is trying to wean himself off of the pain pills, but I think that he is finding out that it is too soon. One strange side effect of the surgery, is that his defibrillator doesn't stick out of his chest as much now as before the surgery. We go get that checked next week, so I will ask them if they know how it got moved.

Yes he will need to rest after exercising. Rest and ice. Making him ice will sit him down or lay him down to nap or at least to read or watch TV or even visit with family. Use the meds as needed; that's why his surgeon prescribed them. Icing a lot during the day can postpone the need for pain meds a bit. Steve would use tylenol or whatever his surgeon suggested when he thought he might not need the stronger meds right that minute. Hang in there! He owes you a wonderful vacation when he's 80% recovered, or at least a great night out, or maybe just a day at the spa without him! Oh, I did get someone to come in to sit with Steve, visit and be there to refill ice or get him water, when I had to go to clients' sites. It was really a nice break for both of us.

• Like 1