ATX Community

Amended Return processing time

StevenL

I completed an amended return for a client this past summer which involved receiving a refund. Today, I received an email from her stating the IRS told her that they haven't even looked at the return and probably won't for at least 45 more days due to a high level of work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with amended returns processing being delayed? Does anyone know what the current turn around time is for processing these returns?

I wonder if this will mean any delays in processing regular returns for this tax season or will these amended returns be delayed even more!

Thanks for any feedback you can offer

There is something definitely wrong here, it doesn't take that long for them to enter a return into their system, it usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for them to process it. I do see this happening for a state return, I know for a fact the state of IL took 3 months to amend a tax return and another two to issue the refund. I would call them myself and find out whats going on, maybe the client just mailed it a couple weeks ago?

My experience has been 6-8 weeks for Federal amended returns and normally only 4-6 weeks for the state of Nebraska. Had one filed in November that the Federal refund was received in less than a month. So if you have that long of a time frame (over 3 months) I would be calling the IRS to see what action is being taken.

You can always check e-services and see when it was logged in. Then, it can take anywhere from 45 days to 6 months, depending on the backlog. When the FTHB credit hit, the IRS was backlogged even farther due to the high volume of amendments hitting at that time. The last one of those I filed was in October, for an original return, and the client still hasn't received her refund.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone. We originally filed the amended return back in June then the IRS wrote back asking for additional information which we sent in at the end of September so now we're just waiting from that point. It just seems like the IRS is backed up at this time so I told my client to just have a little patience for now.