ATX Community

ATX not allowing special characters on W-2

Pacun

In the past when I efiled early returns, I felt that I have proof that I was not using the last pay stub. I felt that I was telling the IRS... "I have the W-2 in front of me" because I was able to enter the control number from the W-2. For the last 2 or 3 years, ATX has not allowed me to enter any hyphens or spaces in that field. I have also noticed that when you enter Company names, you are not allowed to enter the Ampersand in Miller & Long. The same is true when the company's address includes c/o. All these fields are NOT used in any calculation and I wonder why ATX has pre-defined them as numeric.

Any comments?

The new MEF or Modernized E-File uses XML to validate returns. The new business rules disallows certain characters from being in the return because they are used elseware in the structure of the e-file. Characters such as <>&*^ and so on will cause the Schema validation to fail. Below is an clip from what an actual MEF XML E-File looks like. Look for some of the characters mentioned above. If they are seen prematurly they can cause issues.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<Return returnVersion="2011v4.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.irs.gov/efile 2011v4.0/IndividualIncomeTax/Ind1040/Return1040.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:efile="http://www.irs.gov/efile" xmlns="http://www.irs.gov/efile">

<!--FriendlyName:Elections-->

-<ReturnHeader atxOccur="1" atxForm="ReturnHeader" binaryAttachmentCount="0"><Timestamp atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="NoLink">2012-01-16T21:01:50-00:00</Timestamp><TaxYear atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="FormYear">2011</TaxYear><TaxPeriodBeginDate atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="XDateBeg">2011-01-01</TaxPeriodBeginDate><TaxPeriodEndDate atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="XDateEnd">2011-12-31</TaxPeriodEndDate><SoftwareId atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="NoLink">11000053</SoftwareId><SoftwareVersion atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="NoLink"/>-<Originator><EFIN atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="EFIN">011165</EFIN><OriginatorTypeCd atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="ERONonPdPrep">ERO</OriginatorTypeCd>-<PractitionerPIN><EFIN atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="EFIN">011165</EFIN><PIN atxColOff="0" atxRowOff="0" atxError="EROPIN">65432</PIN></PractitionerPIN></Originator>

Michael G, I must say it is great to have you here to answer these tricky software questions! Makes me realize how much I've missed William- he provided the same kind of background info that really helps us understand the programming end of things, not to mention quick help on these issues.

Thank you!!!!!

• Like 1

Michael G, I must say it is great to have you here to answer these tricky software questions! Makes me realize how much I've missed William- he provided the same kind of background info that really helps us understand the programming end of things, not to mention quick help on these issues.

Thank you!!!!!

Just this morning I was thinking the same thing. Meant to post, however got busy!

Deb!

I worked for William for may years in Tech Support. I was the guy he went to when no one else could figure it out. William saved me my telling me to take a positioon in Development, as he knew the support days in Caribou were numbered. I will try to answer as many technical questions as I can.

• Like 2