ATX Community

What do you include in the client packet?

Yardley CPA

I am curious as to what each of you give your clients after the returns are prepared and discussed? I supply my clients with a copy of both their Federal and State returns. Some of my larger clients also receive a copy of their information on a CD Rom. This year I may provide all of my clients with the CD Rom. In addition, I include the client letter (which provides instructions), a tax summary sheet and the 1040 Prior Year Comparison that compares current year to prior year. And of course, my invoice and a stamped envelope for them to return payment to me (if they prefer to have their information mailed to them instead of picking it up in person). All of this is placed in a two pocket folder and a Tyvek envelope. I also return any backup they provided me to prepare the return (I scan the backup for my records).

Each year I also create an encrypted pdf version of each clients return and keep that on my computer in a file folder that I create for each client. I place the encrypted scanned backup information in each clients file folder as well. Both files are password protected. That may be a bit much but it has come in handy through the years when I need to refer to items that pop up.

We give them a paper copy of their federal, state, and local returns and return all source data after we scan it to our File Cabinet. We print our copy of the return directly to the File Cabinet. The workpapers are scanned to that same drawer. Each drawer is separated out per year. I have one client that requests the return on a CD. The invoice is attached to the outside and is paid when the return is picked up. For those that want the return mailed, we call them and tell them to send us a check which includes our fee and postage. We send the return when we have been paid. I do not give them a tax summary sheet nor do a give them a comparison.

I include a summary and a comparison to last year, depreciation schedules, their original documents, returns, anything that I'm printing to my hard drive for me, I print and include in client folder. I also use two-pocket folders with their papers on the left and returns on the right, business cards (one in the slots and two in the folder). Anything for last year is in the folder. Anything they need now or for next year's taxes, MY INVOICE, a suggested W-4, 2012 papers they gave me in error such as their January 2012 property tax payment, I keep outside the folder and hand them separately with instructions. Then, they stuff everything in their folder to carry out to their car! I hand them a filing instruction sheet and highlight the amounts that will be direct deposited, payment vouchers with envelopes if balances due, ES vouchers and envelopes, and make a big fuss over anything that must be mailed by them. If I know they're refinancing, applying to colleges, whatever, I include an extra copy of their federal return without the worksheets so they don't have to tear apart their copy to give one to their bank, for instance.

• Like 1

I pretty much follow the same pattern as Lion....except for the three business cards. If they don't take one off of my desk where they are readily available; I don't expect that they will hand them on; any and all of my new clients are referrals in any event. I put together what they and I think is a very presentable package. I put an Efile sticker on the front of the folder if that is the case. (These are available from the IRS free and come 52 to a sheet. All you have to do is call and ask for them). I also put a year sticker on the spine of the folder. It folds and can be seen from both sides and every year is a different color. Have done that for many years and the clients really like it as my folders are always the same color. Sometimes just the little things are enough to trigger a referral.

Lion,

I think it is great that you give the depreciation schedule, that is one thing I leave out. In my area, nobody gives them out! When I started on my own, I followed suit and have not included it.

I guess everyone just wants a phone call from the clients "new preparer" to send the schedule(and they all do, when asked).

hmmm I might have to consider this, maybe start a trend, or if one of my clients roam elsewhere, I just made it easier on the new preparer...either/ or :)

Love those free e-file stickers. And use year stickers from M&C, alternating silver and gold. I change folder colors every year. I've had occasion on the telephone to tell someone to look for the green folder or blue or.... Also have free stickers from AmEx that have the logos for AmEx, VISA, MC, and Discover, that I stick on my invoices. I use better paper for client returns. But, other than the upgraded paper, it's great how using free and inexpensive products can create a professional package. I've had compliments on my packaging. I use Tyvek envelopes when mailing. Might try the USPS if-it-fits-it-ships mailers. Used to be everyone picked up, but clients are moving out of state so more mailing. I use the free packets of yellow post-its from the IRS that say thank you and call us if you hear from the government.

• Like 1

I also use those IRS free thank you post-its. Have been using the USPS priority one price mailers for years. They are getting pricey, but have to build the postage into the fees. I have not seen some of my clients in person for years and there seem to be more every year. Tis the joy (or peril) of modern technology. Lion, it sounds as though we think alike.

I started including the depreciation schedules when I got new clients that didn't have them, and discovered what a pain that could be. One client I got had his preparer die suddenly during the year, and had a heck of a time even getting his docs back, much less any prior year info, like depreciation schedules. I'm currently trying to deal with a habitual late filer whose prior preparer is insisting everything is in the tax returns..but there is no depreciation schedule, and his main source of income is a 2 unit rental. I've scoured the returns I have, but there have been too many things put into service, including improvements, plus him converting one unit from personal to a rental that I simply cannot recreate the depreciation from what is contained in the 4562s I have.

I put the tax return with the necessary reports (but not worksheets) in an ATX-styled return cover, and their docs in a two pocket envelope, unless they only have a few in which case I staple them in back of the return. I make copies of all of the docs I used to prepare the return, although I'm slowly switching to scanning. I'm starting to include two year comparisons, adding them somewhat haphazardly to the returns each year. I have personalized pens and refrigerator magnets I give out. The magnets are new this year, and my first efile client today specifically asked for one. She loves the pens, and I usually have one or two on me. For awhile I had run out of biz cards and just gave out pens. I've also had compliments on my tax package. It looks very professional, and the return covers don't cost much.

• Like 2

... I put an Efile sticker on the front of the folder if that is the case. (These are available from the IRS free and come 52 to a sheet. All you have to do is call and ask for them).

I have been unable to get the stickers this year. The number I usually call (1-800-TAX-FORM) says that they don't stock them since they are not a "current year" publication. Pub 3010 also doesn't show up in the irs.gov list of publications or on a search for efile stickers, labels, etc.

Anyone have a current source?

Bummer! I couldn't find them online to order so called. Discontinued. IRS not providing stickers of any type. Think I'll complain to our IRS liaison as they were a nice note to our clients that IRS provides e-file so they don't have to go to someone who does bank products to get their refunds quickly or to avoid standing in line at the PO. (I actually have lots left, but went searching after Don posted.)

On a similar note, I've sometimes found calendars via my liaison when out of stock at IRS.gov. Maybe your liaison has some stickers in stock.

If I gave all that to my clients, I would be overwelmed with phone calls. I only have one of form ####, do I send it to the IRS? Most of my clients are not e-filers, I been trying to get them to e-file but they don't trust the internet. I get the calls if they go through the package and mess it all up. Thank God ATX lets me print client copy on their return. So the least I give them the better off they are and I am. If they need something I gladly send it to them.

• Like 1

Our IRS liaison here in CT doe not have any stickers in stock. And, he promised to pass along my displeasure with their discontinuing those stickers, but warned he holds little sway with the forms and pubs division.

We all need to complain to forms and pubs. Tell them what a great marketing tool it was for e-filing.

And, their marketing kit was where I first found the stickers. It also included a cute little sign for my office saying Authorized e-file Provider and client brochures about e-filing and electronic payments. Was a good use of our tax dollars, in my opinion.

I called at the beginning of January wanting to get some new e-file window stickers, because mine are fading. Much to my dismay, I was told that all of the e-file marketing supplies had been discontinued. I told the rep "what a shame, I really like some of the items".

I do have 8 sheets of the e-file labels that I will sell to the highest bidder. LOL Seriously, I can send them to the first to get me an address.

Debbie

Lion, how do you propose we go about doing that. It really makes me sad that they keep asking more from us and then take away our tools. My window sticker is also fading because I leave it on all year. Also, look at the bucks they are spending on advertising Free File and how "Easy" it is. What's with that? They shower us with more restrictions, rules, fees and scrutiny and then pull away our support. (rant over)! :dunno:

After being sent all around the IRS, it seems the best number to call is the Forms & Pubs line at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for a supervisor. I eventually reached someone sympathetic who thought discontinuing the E-File Marketing Kit was counterproductive to the IRS while urging and requiring e-filing and sounded like she would pass along my concerns to her bosses.

NAEA: mailto:[email protected]

NATP: [email protected]

Our IRS Liaison in CT wrote:

"Even I am reduced to contacting a generic internal IRS email address when it comes to forms and publications and even more unfortunate is the fact that the email address has been like a black hole of late. I guess you could say that the IRS Forms and Publications division is my Kryptonite."

I'm with jainen, for those *few* clients who still insist upon paper copies of their returns (thank you, USPS, for "Forever" stamps). I've persuaded all my other clients to accept encrypted pdf's up/downloaded via YouSendIt.com.

As to Yardley's original question, I supply the complete "File Copy" output by ATX, plus the Comparison, Tax Planner, and, if pertinent, MFJ vs. MFS worksheets; the Client Instruction Letter is the first page of the pdf 'package.' (Have *never* used ATX's other Letters; too verbose and font too tiny.) Each jurisdiction's return (and next-year's estimated-tax vouchers) and worksheet(s) is bookmarked in the package. Finally, I add my invoice as the final page of the package -- bookmarked, of course. By now, even my 80/90-year-old clients have printers and know, or have family who know, how to print out the few pages required for signing-off or as vouchers -- or even return them with digital signatures. It helps to have a toll-free, 24/7 MyFax.com number.

I do not release depreciation schedules unless requested to do so. Those *few* clients who send me originals -- instead of copies, as I modified both the Tax Organizer and Engagement Letter to request, in boldface type -- get them back, once I've scanned them, via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation.

Have no truck -- never needed to -- with CD's, DVD's, folders, Tyvek envelopes, stickers. In fact, my biggest problem now is finding the most economical means of getting paid by clients who use only their smart-phones -- i.e., never cheques -- to transact anything, anymore.

VTY, TaxCPANY

@bert73 -- Does that mean we can sign up with Square and use our _clients'_ smartphones to get paid?

I do not have a smartphone and don't want one because of the additional data plan charge. I have a PayPal button on my site that 2 - 3 people per year take advantage of. I have a Square that was sent here - but never did anything about signing up since my phone doesn't send data. If I can use my clients' phones, I may investigate...

Thanks,

Catherine

Ah Catherine, I knew there were several reasons that we get along despite some differences. I, too, am loathe to spend the extra money for a data plan when I use my phone so little already. I'm home most of the time and when out or at clients, I really don't want to be checking email, etc. My phone is off most of the time because I don't want to be interrupted. By the way, I found out recently that what we have are, well, dumb phones. With my netbook and new Kindle Fire, I just don't think I need more even if I am deemed 'old fashioned' or other less than flattering terms. Those monthly charges can add up and be better put, for me, into my retirement.

• Like 2