ATX Community

Still no refund on return filed 02/05

mrichman333

So I was a TRX customer and filed two returns with it before getting different software. It seems on of the returns got transmitted with form 8862 even though I did not take the EITC. Is was told by an IRS representative that all returns with form 8862 were on hold. I explained the software issue and pointed out that the EITC was not taken and she said she put in a request for the return to be reprocessed. That was on 03/14 and when I check where’s my refund it says the same thing it did two months ago; there is no progress bar.

So I’m thinking of sending an amended return, but that may just make thing worse; or maybe send a 911.

So any thoughts?

Guest Taxed

DO NOT SEND 1040X while the original return for 2012 is still pending processing. You can't do much but wait till the original return finishes processing and then submit 1040X if required by IRS. Since you are NOT claiming EITC but form 8862 got attached by mistake, IRS can fix the issue at their end.

Last year one of my "senile" clients had me submit her return and then showed it to her "bright" friend who took it upon herself to submit a 1040X because she thought i had made a mistake with her 1099-R. Long story short the lady got her refund in the fall of that year afte dozens of calls to IRS. She was told that submitting the 1040X sent her return to another unit that deals with problem cases. there was NO problem with the original return.

Do NOT file a new or amended return, but DO call the IRS again, early morning, and explain again that the form was included by error, but was not in fact part of the return, as no EITC was involved. If you are lucky, you will get someone who can, and actually WILL fix it for you. Yes, it can and does happen. Especially when you get someone early in the morning, while they are still feeling human. I expect they get enough abuse from callers that toward the end of the day they just are not feeling like making any extra effort for anyone.