ATX Community

Reminder- check your fixed assets for the returns you started back in Feb

Hahn1040

Don't forget to double check the assets

Client finally sent the rest of the info for a return that I had started back in early February. I noted that they had a large gain on the rental and thought it odd. When I looked at the Fixed assets there were NONE. Oh yes! I first started the return back in Feb when rental properties were dropping off into oblivion! Once I put the house back in, they no longer had a gain.

We all know we should check every detail of every return before we consider it complete, However at this time of the year sometimes we can be a bit lax on some things... generally if they have had a rental that has carried forward for umpteen years.... it should be there for this year.....but we know that is not always the case for those returns we started back in the turmoil of February.

If the return has lots of assets and you haven't entered a lot of info for 2012, then it is easier to can it an roll it over again. In this case, I had already imported the 166 stock transactions for the 8949.... and had gone through and coded each with A B or C. It was easier to put the house and the carpet in again!

On that topic- last year when we imported for the 8949, we could tell it to make all of them A or B if not it defaulted to C. this year I don't see where we can do that. Mine just import with that filed blank and I have to go through and code each one. Does any one know how to make it assign the code to all of the transactions?

Thanks!