ATX Community

Education Credit

Dave T

I have a client whose son is is studying music in Australia. He is 20 Years old and course of study would be considered post secondary education.

It's a non-degree program so if it is eligible it would have to fall under the Lifetime Learning credit. My understanding is that some foreign educational institutions are eligible but not sure how to determine if this might be. I also know that to be eligible the institution must be able to participate in the financial aid programs of of the Dept. of Education.

Based on the information prvided, I don't believe he is entitled to the credit ( or tuition deduction) but would appreciate your opinions.

Thank you.

Dave T

Please note; some in Canada are and some aren't.

Criteria per IRS is the same as the last time I checked:

Eligible Education Institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution