ATX Community

Other state taxes paid for Georgia resident

jshtax

I have a client that is a member of a partnership that filed composite returns. One of the lovely ATX upgrades this year is that Georgia other state taxes paid credit form is disabled unless you add the other states to the return and then calculate the state income forms. I WILL NOT NOR SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS TIME CONSUMING STEP. Any ideas?

About $7500. In years past you just put other state gross income on form then amount of tax paid. Now it appears you have to calculate each state separately for it to flow over to the form then you still have to enter taxes paid. Problem is you shouldnt have to do this since they are composite returns and taxpayer isn't required to file but is allowed the credit and itemized deduction.

My guess is that the state decided they wanted more detail before allowing the credit,  In which case, the software is not the problem, the real problem is probably too many cheaters found it easy to give themselves an extra credit without much more than an entry on a line. 

• Like 1