ATX Community

Form 1116 Foreign Tax Inherited Property

Juan Carlos

I need help filling out the Form 1116 I filled out Sch-D got my LT Capital Gain of just under $1.5M and foreign taxes paid of $108K to Switzerland.  On the Global Information I put down US Resident. P for Taxes Paid and went down to passive income and put the $108K in Foreign taxes.  Then I placed the $108K in Other taxes in the section Determine how to allocate these items. I did not fill anything in the Special Allocation Options if Using income Reconciliation?  Input screen I filled out Switzerland for country, description of property, Income amount $1.5M, Income category Gen Limitation, Income type Other and date paid.  Then I put in the expenses and some interest. Now here is where it get's interesting once I check off the Box "If capital gain or loss" the income amount doubles I lose the foreign tax credit, but worst of all checked or not I can not see anything on the forms. Please make suggestions or give me specifics to complete section as I would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

Juan Carlos