ATX Community

2210 on 1040X

Hahn1040

Client's wife was in a rush to file before end of Feb so she could submit the FAFSA. (yes I told them that they can submit estimated figures and then update once filed.  But she wanted it filed!)

They owe $105,000.  waiting until April 18 to pay.  ORIG return had 2210 with $1,300 penalty

This week they sent new info that reduces the tax.  Since I have so much time these days, I worked on the 2210 to reduce the penalty about $400 because he had gotten a large distribution in December.

BUT the 1040X form doesn't want the 2210.  can i just put in the figure in the explanation section and add it to the balance due?

I know that if they just send the tax, then they will get a bill for the penalty.  Then they could send the 2210 with that.  but this is the kind of guy who wants it all done at once.  When he gets the bill, he would contact me and say,"Hey! what is this! I thought I paid the tax"  even though I had warned him to expect a bill.

so far haven't heard back from them to know how much financial aid they received with $1,211,000 income.... and with $1,300,000 in their checking account.. BUT they have twins that are going at the same time.