ATX Community

Potential Covington, Louisiana client.......

pcmcpa

A young lady (20 years old) just called me (referred by another client) to tell me that her grandmother had left a trust for her and her brother (mom & uncle were trustees). Recently she found a letter saying the year 2000 taxes were filed, but not paid. The return apparently was filed with her Social Security number, not the trusts. IRS taxpayer advocate confirmed this. IRS is looking for their money. The Uncle apparently feels he did his part and doesn't want to speak to her about it. She was silent on what the Mom had to say about the situation. Apparently there is land (part of the trust) in Angelica County (Beaumont, TX) that has a $53,000 tax lien on it.

This is probably a walk in the park for someone who:

a) is knowledgeable in trusts

B) does IRS rep. work

c) is located near that location.

She spoke with an Attorney who indicated he didn't think the trust had too much money left.

Alternatively, if you're not interested in her as a client, what should she do and why?

I would have thought the trustees would be responsible for this, but it doesn't seem that way.

Thanks!

Phil

P.S. If interested, send me an e-mail at [email protected].