ATX Community

CA Form 568 - LLC apportionment question

BCinSC

Greetings all! I am working on a multi-state return that includes CA for an LLC. If I am reading the instructions correctly, Line 1 of Form 568 should only reflect the income apportioned to CA. However, the worksheet pulls information from the federal form and says that it should reflect CA income from Sch B, line 12. Not sure what I am missing here. I have completed the apportionment screen for the various states but cannot seem to make the Line 1 from the CA568 and the CA K-1s only reflect the CA income. Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

>>If I am reading the instructions correctly<<

I'm not sure it is possible to read the instructions correctly. It's a complicated question that has been in the courts for years, and the law changed starting in 2007. Part of it depends on what kind of income the company has and what its relationship to California is. I recommend you contact Spidell at www.caltax.com and subscribe to their California newsletter with a back copy of December 2007.