ATX Community

Help help with a 1099-T & 1099-Q

PatE

I have a client that has a 1099-T & a 1099Q (which I entered) and skipping along to the Education Expense Detail. Does  the Tuition Paid under Qualifying Higher Education Expenses carry from the 1099-T?  If it does (or suppose to) I do not have an entry there and when I override (which I hate to do) to enter  I get the message don't override etc,  Is there something wrong with me, the program or something.  Am I entering the T and omitting a box.  Called support to day and it was a disaster but that's another story. 

Tech support said I should do the 8863 first (none of the information from the T carries there) and then do the worksheet.  Is this correct.  Most forms it's the other way around.  

I paid a lot extra for the add on  to do a 1099-Q

I appreciate any help I can get. 

Many thanks Pat 

No because the payments from the 1099Q would reduce the Qualified Education expenses which includes the tuition on the 1099 T.

I suspect there may be a checkbox or question on the worksheet you may have missed, unless the amount on the 1099 Q exceeds the Qualified Education Expenses.

• Like 1