ATX Community

repayment of unemployment

daisy

>>Why are you folks so tough on her?<<

Thanks for the support, Clay. Although the answer was technically correct in terms of the tax code, my original post used abusive language. You are now seeing only my edited post.

And I, for one, respect you for going back and editing your reply. It takes a bigger person to admit a mistake and try to fix it than it does to bluster and pretend no mistake was made. We all make mistakes from time to time. Admitting them is never really easy.

>>either take it as a misc deduction not subject to 2% or take a credit for it next year<<

What do you think about this situation, which I saw on another tax board?

The taxpayer was required to pay back $5000 in settlement to a buyer of real estate for problems that apparently showed up after the sale. They all wanted to put it on Form 4797 or Schedule D. Of course, nobody bothered to cite any authority for that. Nobody suggested that this claim of right rule might apply, but I think it is the ONLY option.

And I, for one, respect you for going back and editing your reply. It takes a bigger person to admit a mistake and try to fix it than it does to bluster and pretend no mistake was made. We all make mistakes from time to time. Admitting them is never really easy.

Admitting ones mistake is desirable and we should all do such. But going back and doing it as an edit by erasing the texts leaves the following posts needing edit also. Should we all have to edit our posts just because someone previous edited theirs? Such mistakes should be up-front showing the mistake and a statement correcting. Erasing the mistake is not admitting anything.

>>Should we all have to edit our posts just because someone previous edited theirs?<<

I edited my post on August 2 without drawing further attention to it. Although some members supported the original language in various degrees, I thought it was a distraction to understanding the topic. Anybody else can edit their own posts on this board, according to their own interests. In some cases the original language was quoted by others, but I had no control over that.