ATX Community

Confused about the "Injured Spouse" form.....

Denne

I am trying to file a joint tax return for a couple. The husband was without a job for part of the last few years and fell behind on Child Support. He also had some taxes due from several years ago. He has a payment arrangement and has been making payments faithfully. He is also catching up on the back child support every month and doing pretty well with it even though struggling financially with reduced hour at work. Anyway..... my question is regarding the "Refundable Credit" in question 9 on the 8379. I haven't found instructions regarding what is included in this catagory. They will have Child Tax "Credit" and also Earned income tax "Credit." Are these credits part of what makes up this "Yes?" If I answer "No" then there is no Injured Spouse of course. The largest part of their refund is for these two credits. The current wife has three children and then they have one child together. Their total refund is $4700 higher by filing jointly and they can sure use that money since his hours are currently reduced on his job. Any help would be appreciated. I am just a bit confused about their ability to qualify for the Injured Spouse..... Too much tax work and too little time ;~) Sound familiar????!!!!

Thanks for your ideas on how to best handle this issue.

Additional child tax credit and earned income credit are both refundable credits. Credits that appear in the "payments" section of the 1040 are refundable credits.

Thanks so much for verifying what I was thinking. I feel like my brain get a little drain in the early morning hours.....morning hours that are a necessary evil at this time of the year! I always seem to be playing catch up ;~(

Thanks again for responding........