ATX Community

TRAVEL PER DIEM

terry

Under a non-accountable plan, an employee working out-of-state temporary job. Receives reimbursement $100 per day to be used for lodging & meals.

Is an employee allowed to deduct the difference between Per diem allowances for lodging, meals & the reimbursement? Working in a high cost city. Thanks!

"Is an employee allowed to deduct the difference between Per diem allowances for lodging, meals & the reimbursement?"

Deduct the difference between the "allowance" and "reimbursement"?

What I believe the question was, can I deduct the following?

Reimbursement is a "$100.00 per day and the amount of the allowable per diem is $125", can the difference of $25 per day be a deduction?

This is not allowed.

However, as KC states actual if the lodging plus the M&IE rate is in excess of the reimbursement then a deduction is allowed.

The substantiation rules for documentation are to be followed

"Is an employee allowed to deduct the difference between Per diem allowances for lodging, meals & the reimbursement?"

Deduct the difference between the "allowance" and "reimbursement"?

What I believe the question was, can I deduct the following?

Reimbursement is a "$100.00 per day and the amount of the allowable per diem is $125", can the difference of $25 per day be a deduction?

This is not allowed.

However, as KC states actual if the lodging plus the M&IE rate is in excess of the reimbursement then a deduction is allowed.

The substantiation rules for documentation are to be followed

Correct, thats what I was asking. Sorry if I didnt word it correctly the first time. So... He has actual reciepts for lodging, none for meals. I'm able to use actual lodging reciepts plus M&IE rate? Ignore the reimbursement because its a nonaccountable plan with reimbursement already in W-2 wages? Trying to understand Pub. 17. Thanks to everyone!