ATX Community

Dupicate Efile Status

Ray in Ohio

I have a "Duplicated Return" status on one on my transmitted 1040EZ tax returns. I am assuming I transmitted it twice unintentionally. The Ack for this file actually says "duplicated" as of 2/09/09.

The client has not received his refund yet.

What do I need to do with this? I have never had this happen before and couldn't find any resources regarding this matter.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Was the efile sent to the IRS twice or did ATX catch and return it to you as a duplicate, without sending the efile twice to the IRS?

How would I be able to determine that?

I have a system on transmitting efiles, and I don't see how I could have transmitted it twice. But with the "duplicated" status, I just assumed that I had transmitted it twice.

The duplicate status means the DCN was the same as another return. You need to recreate the efile and efile it again. You will see the DCN will change after you recreate it. As long as the refund or amount due is the same as the original , you do not need to have the client sign the new 8879. However, you should attach the new 8879 to the signed 8879.