ATX Community

How to enter ISO disqualifying disposition in Year 2 and AMT Sched D

rickart

I'm sure that at some point (perhaps in 2000 - 2002), someone has to have figured out how to handle this in ATX:

Client exercised ISO in mid-2007, but held the stock. Big AMT addition for 6251 line 13 for '07.

In early '08 Client sold the stock, early enough that there was a disqualifying disposition (held less than one year). Accordingly, the regular tax ordinary income goes on line 7 or line 21 depending on whether client can get w-2 from former employer (the issuer).

Question is how to get the right data into and out of the AMT Sched. D without creating other problems in ATX's calculations of other amounts (e.g., on 6251 or 8801). Have thought that maybe entering the sales price in the regular tax basis column, but using the real AMT basis for the stock, would get to the right answers. I am concerned, however, that there is some calculations "back in the worksheets" that would be thrown off.

If possible, I'm trying to preserve e-filing the return, but that's secondary.

Any suggestions from the long-term ATX'ers?

TIA & Regards,

Rick