ATX Community

Forcing an e-file

JJStephens

I just completed/transmitted my last return (mine!). However . . .

I got two rejection notices for earlier transmissions (arrghh). One was because the EIN on a 1099R was secured during the current processing year. The notice says that an EIN secured in the year of the filing cannot be e-filed--that's a new one on me. The other one is what I have a question about.

The return is for an overseas missionary (who finally emailed me the last of his stuff over the weekend). All income was eligible for foreign income exclusion. The reason the e-file was rejected is because the return must have a positive number in at least one of several fields (total income, AGI, total tax, total credits, or phone credit) (another new one on me). He has none of the above.

In order to qualify the return for e-filing (there is no way to get it to him in time to timely file) I'm toying with the idea of recording $1 as interest income. Is this a legitimate work-around . . . or just the muddled result of my few remaining brain cells slowly fading into the night? What thinkest thou?

Did he pay any phone bills between March 2003 and August 2006? If so he would most likely have paid a Federal Excise tax during that time. He would very likely qualify for the $30 credit which would give you the positive number you need for e-file and an extra $30 in his pocket.

If he didn't pay any US phone bills in that period, he can't use it.