ATX Community

E-file Exclusion Error

David

I can't find anything on the knowledge base that addresses this e-file error. I have an IRC 1341 credit on line 70 of form 1040 for a repayment of amounts under a claim of right which was included in a prior year taxable income.

I followed the directions in pub. 525 and have the credit listed on line 70 with "IRC 1341" noted beside that amount.

When I tried to create the e-file, I received the following error message - Error: IRS E-file Exclusion: Amount of other payments must equal the total from the 2439 input worksheet and Forms 4136, 8801 and 8885.

It appears that the program expects one of those forms to be completed if an amount is included on line 70. However, none of those forms apply to this type of credit. Furthermore, pub. 525 doesn't say that a certain form needs to be coompleted for this credit.

Does anyone know how to handle this issue so that the tax return can be e-filed?

Thanks.

That's an IRS requirement for efile, not an instruction for completing a return. Here's the text of the error the IRS would return if the software didn't prevent efiling.

ERC 0426 Form 1040 – Other Payments must equal the total of the following fields:Tax Paid by Regulated Investment Company from Form 2439, Total Income Tax Credit Amount from Form 4136, Current Year Refundable Credit from Form 8801, plus Health Coverage Tax Credit from Form 8885.

Just because it's correct doesn't always mean it can be efiled.