ATX Community

Employing a disabled person

Ray in Ohio

One of my clients has a disabled person (schizophrenic on heavy meds) working for him in his woodworking shop. My client's retired father works directly with this person. The disabled person is not related to the employer and they are "giving him something to do" with the hopes of helping his condition.

Someone told my client that there are tax benefits available for companies that employ disabled individuals. I have not been able to find anything relating to this in any of the books or IRS website.

Does anyone know if there is anything available as a credit/deduction for this situation?

Thank You!

>>One of my clients has a disabled person (schizophrenic on heavy meds) working for him in his woodworking shop<<

WHAT??? I'm all for giving a hand, but blades and psychotics is not a pretty picture.

Well, to answer your question, the Work Opportunity Credit is just about the last of the "targeted groups" legislation. Because of the Congressional pork-barrel approach to re-election, business credits nowadays tend to be geographical or technology-based (that is, favoring a specific corporation). However, clever grant writers can sometimes find support from foundations that deal with the type of disability involved.

I had the same mental image, Jainen. Scary, would not want to work there myself......

I understand the pictures you are seeing.. lol.

He is very heavily medicated and the grandfather works only with him and is next to him constantly. He functions very slowly with the meds he is on.