ATX Community

Form 706 samples?

Kea

I'm about to (finally!!!) wrap up my 1st (hopefully only) 706 return. Does anyone have any sample returns (preferably of all the schedules)? I have all my data, but I just want to make sure I'm entering everything the way IRS wants it. The instructions show sample data for some of the schedules, but not all. Probably self-explanatory, but I just want to make sure I get it right. I'm also open to advice on attachments -- staples, paper clips, order, labels, anything that I should watch out for.

For example, for bank accounts, can I enter everything on 1 line? Or, do I need separate lines for alt val and / or accrued interest? I separated the accrued interest, but I listed the DOD & alt val amounts on the same line. (I separated everything on the Sch B for stocks and bonds.)

For stocks, decedent owned some in brokerage accounts and some had stock certificates. I did not see this in the IRS instructions example. However, on the cash accounts they request account #s. Should this be specified on the Sch B? In some cases the same stock was held in certificates and more shares at a brokerage or directly through company. Should these be listed together or separately?

Lastly (?), one life insurance policy was for $5000, but issued check for $5121. I **assume** this is interest from DOD to when check paid (pretty good rate because the check was only a couple of months later). I'm assuming I use the $5121 value for DOD and alt val? Or, should DOD be the $5000?

Thanks so much!

Please read the instruction about the use of the alternate valuation date, it can be used only in certain situation and if use all property is valued at that date. You can not pick or choose when date to use for which item. I was not sure from the post if this fact was known.

The examples and sample return is very good. however, if there is a specific item please about that item.

I would list each item separately for each account, makes it easier to tic-and-tie.

The interest in the life insurance policy accrues after the DOD and therefore is not included in the Estate Return because the interest does not exist until after the death.

Thanks for your response.

Alternate value was elected and applied to all assets. Total estate value decreased approximately $200,000 between DOD & alt value date. The only assets which do not use alt value are assets that were sold in interim (sale date used) and cash accounts since interest wouldn't count. (I just have realized that applied to life insurance also.)

IRS instructions do not show examples for every form. I would just like to see a "complete package" of completed forms and attachments before sending this off. Just to make sure all my "i"s are dotted & "t"s are crossed.

Thanks again.