ATX Community

NYS Carryover Credit

clay

Client's NYS tax is $443.

Long Term Care credit is $494.

It seems the $51 of unused credit should flow to the IT-201-ATT line 23. This is a calculated field and is blank on this return. The 201 line 42 hows the full credit of $494.

On the IT-249 I filled out Sch H to show the tax and a carryover to 2010 of the unused credit.

Any of you NYer preparers have any idea what I am doing wrong? I hate to override.

Client's NYS tax is $443.

Long Term Care credit is $494.

It seems the $51 of unused credit should flow to the IT-201-ATT line 23. This is a calculated field and is blank on this return. The 201 line 42 hows the full credit of $494.

On the IT-249 I filled out Sch H to show the tax and a carryover to 2010 of the unused credit.

Any of you NYer preparers have any idea what I am doing wrong? I hate to override.

I noticed the same thing earlier in the season so I delved into it. I looked at all the lines that involved that credit on the IT-201, IT-201-ATT and IT-249 and they all flowed as required for what was being requested for that line...so I was satisfied. Now, with respect to IT-201-ATT, line 23, if you look at that form, line 23 falls under "Part 2- Other NYS taxes" and that Part only needs to be completed if you are subject to "other" NYS taxes. So line 23 doesn't get filled in.

The one thing I don't like, is havings to remember to put in the amount of the credit you want applied against the tax in SCH H of IT-249. You get no diagnostics if that line is not filled in and if you change the return after you complete that SCH H and forget to change it, oh boy.

Grace

I noticed the same thing earlier in the season so I delved into it. I looked at all the lines that involved that credit on the IT-201, IT-201-ATT and IT-249 and they all flowed as required for what was being requested for that line...so I was satisfied. Now, with respect to IT-201-ATT, line 23, if you look at that form, line 23 falls under "Part 2- Other NYS taxes" and that Part only needs to be completed if you are subject to "other" NYS taxes. So line 23 doesn't get filled in.

The one thing I don't like, is havings to remember to put in the amount of the credit you want applied against the tax in SCH H of IT-249. You get no diagnostics if that line is not filled in and if you change the return after you complete that SCH H and forget to change it, oh boy.

Grace

I am still having a problem. The amount I enter on Sch H of the IT-249 is not flowing to either the IT-201 or the IT-201-ATT.

I checked the "Cross Reference" for the IT-201-ATT Sect B Line 3 and it is the IT-249, Sect H, line 22, but the numbers are not the same; they are not flowing in accordance with the cross reference.

I am still having a problem. The amount I enter on Sch H of the IT-249 is not flowing to either the IT-201 or the IT-201-ATT.

I checked the "Cross Reference" for the IT-201-ATT Sect B Line 3 and it is the IT-249, Sect H, line 22, but the numbers are not the same; they are not flowing in accordance with the cross reference.

What is the "Cross Reference" to which you refer?

I'm looking at an actual return and reading the form lines one by one and carrying the numbers to where the line tells me to.

The IT-201-ATT, Sec B, line 3 number comes from IT-249, Sch F, line 14 which shows the total credit (current year plus any carry overs from 2008). In your case that would be $494 from IT-249, SCH F, line 14. The $494 then goes to IT-201-ATT, Section B, line 3, and if no other credits for Section B, it ends up on the TOTAL line, line 7. From there it goes to IT-201, line 42 per the line instructions.

In regards to IT-249, Sect H: line 22 is the amount of credit you want carried over to 2010. In your case, $51. That wouldn't flow to the IT-201-ATT. Only current year credits go on the IT-201-ATT.

From your original numbers, they should flow as follows:

IT-249, SCH F, line 14: $494 and then it goes to IT-201-ATT, Sect B, line 3: $494 and line 7: $494 and then to

IT-201, line 42: $494. Each one of the lines instructs you to the next step to carry the number.

IT-249, SCH H, Line 20: $494, Line 21: $443, Line 22: $51.

IT-249, SCH H is used to say "how much of the credit do you want to use" and "how much, if any, will be carried over to following year." When this credit first came out, there was no SCH H. You had to attach a statement to the return and reiterate that same info. None of the info on SCH H flows to any form. I believe it's just "informational."

Grace