ATX Community

Standard Mileage rate

LindaB

Claimed as a dependent on her parents return, finished college in spring of 2009, working as an independent contractor--Sch. C income. If she used a car that belongs to her parents, can she use the standard mileage rate? (I don't think she can) Can she use actual expenses?

Interesting. Any chance the parents have gifted her the car even though its not in her name? I understand that no std mielage rate allowed since she doesn't own it but if its a gift....maybe. If not a gift, I would do actuals with business % applied(without depreciation....if she indeed paid the expenses and the parents didn't. If the parents paid everything...no go. I don't have any cites on this....just logically thinking about how I might handle the same situation. When I worked for a big corporation, I was never asked if I owned the car before I was reimbursed for business miles...when I was younger, my parents owned the car but I was reimbursed any way.

Julie