ATX Community

Travel Expenses

MargaretMort

My 19 yr. old grandson has gotten involved in "modeling" which has turned into going to various sporting events, wearing clothing with advertising, explaining why people should buy the product, etc. Plus he also does set up and break downs at some events. I am beginning to wonder if he is itinerant in which case he wouldn't be able to take his expenses while traveling. The jobs are frequently gotten for him by different agencies which pay him per job. Sometimes transportation is paid, other times not. My personal feeling is that all expenses involved in going to and staying at each location is deductible but I just wanted to have some back up thoughts.

As always, I appreciate any help. Many thanks. MM

My 19 yr. old grandson has gotten involved in "modeling" which has turned into going to various sporting events, wearing clothing with advertising, explaining why people should buy the product, etc. Plus he also does set up and break downs at some events. I am beginning to wonder if he is itinerant in which case he wouldn't be able to take his expenses while traveling. The jobs are frequently gotten for him by different agencies which pay him per job. Sometimes transportation is paid, other times not. My personal feeling is that all expenses involved in going to and staying at each location is deductible but I just wanted to have some back up thoughts.

As always, I appreciate any help. Many thanks. MM

How exciting for your grandson, My son started out getting small parts in major motion pictures from a talent agency after graduating high school. But the pay was not stable enough, so he joined a union to work behind the scenes on major motion pictures. Good Luck to your Grandson!( and to your family)

Is the reimbursements added to the W2s, if so then take all the travel. If they are not added to any w2s, take the travel deduction but make sure to put the amount reimbursed on the 2106.(using the artist deduction if he made less than 16000.)

I am assuming he will receive 1099's from each agent who hired and paid him. He also has worked for a couple of major companies, I think. As far as I know no taxes or SS have been withheld. He hasn't received any paperwork, yet, so I am guessing. Being a "good" grandmother, I made him start keeping mileage and expense records right away--have to keep this income from mixing with his lawn mowing business. He brought me a bunch of receipts, etc. last fall so I could decide how much ES he should pay. I gave all that back to him and told him how to arrange a written page that lists all that stuff as it happened. He groused but has done it.

I don't know what all he will be involved in this year but I do know he has 3 weeks as a Gecko for Geico during spring break and 15 Nascar events. His parents have encouraged him to not take college classes this spring and just enjoy all these new events.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. MM