ATX Community

Rental Properties Owner and Schedule E or C

Kimberly K

I have a long time client that has 2 rental properties (another one in the works now) and up until this year, I have always used Schedule E for reporting. Well since the government decided to change things for Rental Owners on reporting expenses for 2011, my client for 2010 has given me 3 itemized sheets this year( I think they are a little mad that they have to do this, so they are taking every deduction that is possible.)

Two of the sheets are for each property( which they give me every year) But the third sheet shows everything from computer purchase, vehicle, ect ect to utility bills for their home office.

Years ago I had a property owner that owned an apartment buiding with many tenants. I know that I added an all inclusive Schedule E to the return for expenses paid for all apartment expenses lumped into one catagory ( ex. insurance, garbage disposal ect.) Should I do this, or start a business return?

I don't see anything in your post that would justify a 1040 Sch-C reporting.

Client wants to take depreciation/sec179 on a vehicle over $33000 but compared to rent received and all other expenses, This just sticks out like a sore thumb. I always doubt myself, when changing anything on a prior client.

Thanks Jack for replying