ATX Community

Volunteer Firefighter Service Award

GraceNY

Taxpayer received 1099-Misc reporting a Length of Service Award Program payment in the amount of $800 in box 3 (Other Income).

Has anyone else seen this and how did they handle on tax return?

Based on my reading, it looks like it would just be reported on Line 21 as other income, not subject to SE (Rev. Rul. 2003-47). Additionally, and interestingly, I read that the amount reported for this award is a subtraction adjustment under the pension and annuity income exclusion on the NYS income tax return (TSB-M-03(5)I).

Thank you in advance for any input or feedback.

Grace

Grace,

I have a client that has been a long time volunteer firefighter in New York and has received this service award for many years. I have always put this on line 21.

Interestingly, it used to come on a 1099-R and it has only been a few years in which it began to come on a 1099-Misc.

If your client is a current firefighter, don't forget to give them the $ 200 credit that is allowed to volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers. I believe it goes on IT-249.

Dave T